hiding 8 blinds in a corn field

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

hiding 8 blinds in a corn field

Postby SMcGarrity » Mon May 27, 2013 7:26 pm

any ideas on how to hide 8 in a corn field? going to ND this year and will probably see a mixed bag of birds, but i thought i would post here. 8 is not ideal, but we've got a large group and we may not be able to break up into 2 different groups in 2 different fields. don't really want to put 8 blinds side by side, maybe a 4 and 4 set?

we will have about 300-400 decoys of both geese and ducks. most are full bodies, but we have shells. most are canadian decoys and are a mix of avery and big foot. probably about 100 mallard decoys, most are avery full bodies. on past hunts, we try to make the blind area more of a "black hole" with the canadian decoys. we just try to concentrate the geese in the area in/around our blinds. we use taller stakes and will have some decoys sitting 1-2 ft off the ground behind the blinds.

if the stubble is fairly high, it will make it easier but EFFECTIVELY hiding 8 is tough. i dress the shi* out of my blinds and normally make the others in my party do it as well. you are only hidden as well as the least dressed blind in my opinion.

any ideas out there?
SMcGarrity
hunter

Re: hiding 8 blinds in a corn field

Postby Justin Weber » Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 am

Just set up on the field edge
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

Have you been to ND before and know what to expect? Sounds like you know how to hide blinds, same technique in ND. What time frame are you going?

H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 pm

first week or so in November. near Brocket with a guide service Back Road Adventures - http://www.brhunting.com/. supposedly we will be hunting dry all week - no water.

most i have had in a field is 6 and we created a white/black hole around the blinds with snows, canadas, and specks. re-bar is great stuff to pound into the ground for taller field stakes. we use this mostly right behind the blinds and we stuff em in there pretty tight. fill the areas in/around the blinds too, but without the tall stakes. we've run 6 blinds side by side packed like sardines with decoys jammed in as much as possible. when you have a larger spread, the thought is that this "layout" doesn't look totally unnatural so to speak.

but i am always looking for ideas from people with more experience with this sort of thing. actually always looking for ideas out there. i am crazy enough to try anything - haven't gotten around to the "plond" though!!!
Last edited by SMcGarrity on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby BlackFoot777 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Take me with you and I will show you guys how to hide
BlackFoot777
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Why are you worried about hiding blinds and taking decoys if you are going on a guided hunt? Should n't the guide be doing that work? Better yet, why hire a guide to hunt in ND? With 8 guys and 2-3 trucks you could easily freelance and have a successful trip. Opening week,, don't be surprised to see birds still hitting small grain fields. Oh, and leave about 200 of those 300 decoys home. 4-7 dozen fullbodies and 4 spinners, and two bags of duck floaters are all you need.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed May 29, 2013 4:14 pm

tornadochaser wrote:Why are you worried about hiding blinds and taking decoys if you are going on a guided hunt? Should n't the guide be doing that work? Better yet, why hire a guide to hunt in ND? With 8 guys and 2-3 trucks you could easily freelance and have a successful trip. Opening week,, don't be surprised to see birds still hitting small grain fields. Oh, and leave about 200 of those 300 decoys home. 4-7 dozen fullbodies and 4 spinners, and two bags of duck floaters are all you need.

Sent from my DROID Pro

it will be scouted, not guided. the guy should tell us where the birds are and then it is up to us to setup. i guess we are coming prepared for about anything/everything. i would rather too many decoys and not use them, then not have enough. we basically have access to this guys fields and he does the scouting. we are also using his facilities for lodging. while i am up there, i hope the learn a little bit more on the freelancing though.

you guys are still missing the question - any tips on hiding that many blinds?
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Will you be able to dig them in? Will there be any standing corn that time of year?

If you can't play off these two things, do what Justin said and hunt the field edge.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Cornfields are about the easiest field there is to hide blinds in. If they are combined but not tilled yet, you stubble em up. If the field is tilled, mud the blind to match the soil and stubble the blind here and there to mimic how the field looks after it's been tilled. Bring a pick ax and a few shovels to scrape down the soil under where your blind will sit. Don't need to dig a grave, just a few inches can make a difference. Don't be surprised if there isn't much corn harvested yet in the area you'll be hunting during that time frame. Plan on knowing how you'll hide blinds in wheat stubble, bean stubble, and a host of other small grains they run up there. Those mallards eat the same barley that's in the Budweiser in my fridge.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:08 am

Given the wet spring and late start there may not be much "corn" to hide in.............. Prepare for plan B....................Which could stand for beans...................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 pm

good things to think about, i appreciate it. never hid in beans before. or barley. we've got ghillie covers for our blinds - i think they are all the 'all terrain' color from avery. and planning for "Plan B" means we need to be ready for plan C and maybe plan D as well.

we are in touch with this guy and he should be able to let us know what we are looking at when we get closer to getting up there. good chance we might be doing some digging.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

thanks for the feedback and ideas guys
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri May 31, 2013 10:47 am

Just remember before u start digging make sure its ok. All it takes is the farmer to be in a bad mood see 8 dark spots in the field that are turned over and then the guide loses a field to hunt on...
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Justin Weber wrote:Just remember before u start digging make sure its ok. All it takes is the farmer to be in a bad mood see 8 dark spots in the field that are turned over and then the guide loses a field to hunt on...

but of course, momma raised me better than that!
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:07 am

Every thought of not sitting in individual blinds? Using strips of fencing and putting cedar etc. on the outside.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Hell in Oklahoma we can set up 20 blinds shoulder to shoulder and dont have problems. When you have that many blinds it literally creates its own "waterway" apperance.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:Hell in Oklahoma we can set up 20 blinds shoulder to shoulder and dont have problems. When you have that many blinds it literally creates its own "waterway" apperance.

don't quite follow the "waterway" concept?

talked to the guy today. they are having trouble planting, about 20% in right now. too much rain. kind of like us in STL - water water everywhere! according to the farmer/guide, most of the small grains will be eaten by that time and birds should be hitting corn/beans. he also mentioned most of the small water is frozen by this time as well. cool with me as i love field hunting. he did mention he will cut before hunting if need be - not sure what their baiting laws are in ND, but one would hope this guy is on top of it.

anyone heard of this outfit? backroad adventures - www.brhunting.com
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:47 pm

If you are hunting opening week nothing will be frozen and the corn/soybeans will probably still be green. If there is only small grains to eat then, that's what they'll be in, since the corn will be no where near ready to harvest by then. If there are beans to hunt in that are harvested the stubble is about 2" high, not much to tuck under. If he's 'cutting' for his hunters, means he could be setting you up for failure. Most guys that cut corn do it for silage and cut it just a few inches above the ground. Again, not much cover to hide if in cut corn.

H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 am

I'd just bring 2 bags of floaters and whack greenheads on the watering hole as they fly back to roost from feeding. ND transition sloughs are one of the most fun ways to hunt!

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:Hell in Oklahoma we can set up 20 blinds shoulder to shoulder and dont have problems. When you have that many blinds it literally creates its own "waterway" apperance.

The image that comes to my mind would be a weed patch within the field. It s fairly common to find week patches in the field that the harvester skipped over so as not to clog the machine. If I see these in the field I will often "stubble" my blinds with weeds. They are good cover and you often see birds near them but my experience has been they rarely fly or land near large patches. If they are close it is because they walked there.

If the summer continues to be wet into the fall I wouldn't expect the little corn that will be planted to be harvested till after freezup and the grains and beans will probably be a late harvest too. At least in the northern 1/2 of the state.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:31 pm

H2OfowlND wrote:If you are hunting opening week nothing will be frozen and the corn/soybeans will probably still be green. If there is only small grains to eat then, that's what they'll be in, since the corn will be no where near ready to harvest by then. If there are beans to hunt in that are harvested the stubble is about 2" high, not much to tuck under. If he's 'cutting' for his hunters, means he could be setting you up for failure. Most guys that cut corn do it for silage and cut it just a few inches above the ground. Again, not much cover to hide if in cut corn.

H2O

when i mentioned my dates i screwed up. we will be hunting ND when missouri opening week starts. it won't be opening week in ND. it will be first 5-7 days in Nov
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:07 pm

That's different............................. You might want to bring a snow cover.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 pm

yeah, we've got those and will make sure they come along with us. from what i understand, small water is locked up that time of year. but weather has been all over the place the past couple of years so who knows....
Last edited by SMcGarrity on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Prior to the late 80s last week of October first week of November was tradional "freeezup". Since then until the last couple years freezeup has often been later in November. We seem to be going back to the old trend........... I do remember a year we froze solid, even the big lakes, after the first week of October.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Bigredman5223 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Where I'm at its pretty easy to put out 8-12 blinds and still get the birds in. We have a lot of snows and specks down here and our larger spreads help us out a lot.
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum