BIRDS FLYING AROUND MY SPREAD HELP!!!

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

BIRDS FLYING AROUND MY SPREAD HELP!!!

Postby rockemwithbennelli » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:34 am

I have been hunting hay fields latly because the corn is not cut yet. I have been using 3 doz. field decoys and placing them out about 45 yards from a small drainedge ditch. No spacifit layout just making it look like 2 flocks with a space in the middle. The flocks check me out but never present a shot. can anyone help?
rockemwithbennelli
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:00 am

Well they seem to be interested but they definetely dont like something. what kind of decoys are you using and how are you hiding( layout blind, goose chair, camo, ect) How would you describe your calling methods. Maybe the geese have come ucustomed to your spread so try to change it up. Spit the dekes into family groups( 4-7 in group)
goosetalk
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:11 am

well, if you have 3 doz decoys spread them out into smaller family groups of 5-9 decoys and have a couple of spots for them to land. Make sure you are hiding so they don't see you, I was reading somewhere that geese have 7times better eye sight then humans. Also make sure there isn't something that is reflective, and maybe try a flag or something like that. Otherwise you might have to just move out into the field somemore and try hiding under decoys or something.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:17 am

If they don't like your setup, move them around. Family groups, flag them for some motion in your setup, and check your layout blind to make sure they aren't seeing you. Play the wind as best you can as well. Keep moving your spread around and you will get it right. If there are birds all over you, and you have seen them use the field before then they should want in, they are just seeing something they aren't comfortable with.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:27 am

What I though of real quick was how are you calling them? One problem alot of hunters have is their lack of calling expertise. Unless you are a expert caller, use it less. Many inexperienced callers will do the exact opposite, blow a wrong note and they are gone. I consider myself medicore at best, I mostly only use the call to get their attention. Once they are coming at me I put it away. If they fly high over head or start turning, I'll blow one or two more clucks, but that's it. Now there are some guys out there that can really work some majic with a call, but I'm not one of em
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby rockemwithbennelli » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:38 am

I am using three different types of decoys 12 regular shell decs and 12 super mags and for the hell of it I put out 18 floaters. Ya I know floaters in a field. I never tried braking them up into familys. Does that mean setting them up in sets of 7 or 9 and then spaceing them out? and if it does do I leave a whole for them to land in?
rockemwithbennelli
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:49 am

Yeah, spread them out into smaller groups with a descent amount of space between them. Early in the year they fly in family groups, or in larger groups but when the break up to land the families will all land together leaving some space between each family. Still leave a landing zone for them to get in to. Early season birds usually want to land in front of the decoys with their faces into the wind. Migrants will want to land in the middle of your spread more often.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby rockemwithbennelli » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:13 pm

hay thanks for the help I am going to give it a try.
rockemwithbennelli
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:27 am

You might also try moving away from the ditch. They may be afraid of what your hiding in. Try laying flat on your back and get some green rafia and pull over you to break you up. Try using a flag when they are farther away. They are circling as the might not have seen any motion and been shot at by someone else with out any motion already. They are smarting up again and you need to think ahead of them.

try changing your place, how your setting up and calling and you will notice something work. Try finding an experience hunter to tag along with you and they might be able to pick it right out of what your doing.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

decoys

Postby Duckman10 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:34 am

Everybody tells me to use family groups but i hunt over 1 dozen ghg fullbodies unless im huntin wit my buddy then we hunt over three dozen i strongly urge you use like a u with a small family group off to the side the u should be slightly curved put the family group of about five back behind the spread that is what has worked for me i have been huntin hay and silage the geese have mainly been on silage around here there are some beans out :thumbsup:
Duckman10
hunter

Postby Goose Calling Expert » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:16 pm

I use to have the same problem.

I have every CD and DVD made on calling geese. I also have over 1500 bucks into calls and 3 years of practice.

I can now set those geese down in the dekes 80% of the time.

Practice Practice Practice calling and learning. Once you know the 10 most commonly used calls it is magic :getdown:

Next is the stage :thumbsup:

GCE
Goose Calling Expert
hunter

Postby golfhuntsleep » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:52 pm

They are seeing to much.......when geese look but don't commit go with LESS #'s....put out you're 6 best decoys and see if that works......
golfhuntsleep
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 pm

If the drainage ditch is next to a travelled road you have a problem move out into the field say at least 100 yds..and cover/camo yourself...hopefully you set up where the geese used to be and now want to be there...you are not running trafffic?... you can try a H pattern with you in the H and a fair number of the big dekes around you
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby MHeintz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:45 pm

Hey dresser is sweet total off road weekend good times up there

Later
Max
MHeintz
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:45 pm

shut up on the call, let em come in
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Ross R » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:14 am

another thing to think about is what is your ratio of feeders to active/looker decoys?? you dont want too many lookers or actives because it gives the illusion that the geese are nervous about something. Anther thing to think about is how close together are your decoys?? if they are too close together it gives the immage of nervous geese. and remember DONT MOVE dont even look at the birds as they circle, they pick up movement so well. there are just so many variables to take into consideration these are only a few. well i wish you the best of luck!! Knock 'em down
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:01 am

What kind of a hay field is it..is it from something edible for the geese ..are there any new green shoots..or just a grass meadow cut for hay..maybe it is not where they want to be
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:48 am

try adding more realism to your spread with more full bodies you could even try less or no calling and if all else fails find where thier goin and jump'em
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum