goose floaters in your spread

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

goose floaters in your spread

Postby kms399 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:59 pm

I have 3 right now working on changing that. just wondering how many of you bother putting out geese with the ducks and how many. and while we are at it what kind. I am partial to big foot.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby Penguine » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:04 pm

Between 6-8. We had so many geese work today but only 2, at 2 different times, wanted to commit.

3 minutes before shooting time this morning we had 2 come LOW in and sit 10 yards from us. When I say low if I would have stood up and jumped I could have smacked one on the head.

As the sun was creeping up I guess they realized the deeks were plastic cause they hauled ass away. LOL. Shoting time and they were off the marsh and would not come back.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:08 pm

It depends. If the area I am hunting has geese, I'll float 1/2 dozen honkers off to the side of the duck decoy's. When the geese are in heavy, we'll also put out a dozen or two shells on sand banks or ground above the river.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby Long Grove labs » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:27 pm

We hunt w/at least 7 Bigfoot floaters, and upwards of 5 dozen. Depending on the area we are hunting we may put out a couple do. bigfoot FB on the bank.
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...Holy crap...what a ride!"
Long Grove labs
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:18 am

I use geese deeks in my spread regardless of if it's goose season or not. I usually use between three and seven. Alot of times I'll try to put them in a line on one side, outside of my duck decoys to try to get the ducks to land where I want.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Captain16 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:29 am

Last year I had 8 Goose floaters in my spread and never got one goose in. I have some shells and fullbodies that I will stick on the shore as well. I usually put them in a group outside the ducks. Seems to help with the ducks, but not the geese. I have never had any geese even come into them yet over water. Seems like here in KS, the only way to get a goose in is to hunt them in fields. Personally I would rather hunt them over water.
Captain16
hunter

Postby plainsman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:28 pm

I don't use floaters in the spread anymore.....I use some shells on shoreline. It looks very good and has put the hurt on many honkers
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:37 am

In my area of Arkansas you very seldom see geese with the ducks. I only put goose decoys out when they're in season as I don't think they would do any good plus they take up a lot of room in the boat. The good thing is they're in season right now and it doesn't take much to fool these stupid residents. :thumbsup:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:22 am

I always have a few even when goose season isn't in. I think the ducks like it. As we get closer to the end of duck season goose hunting tends to get real good so I dump alot of my duck decoys and start using 4 or 5 doz goose floaters. Also you can't beat big feet on the ice next to open water! :yes:
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby portahunter » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:38 am

How about this, anybody ever tried snow goose floaters with a duck spread down south. See mallards and pintail mixed in sometimes but only on the land. We get quiet a few snow geese in my area. I was just wondering if it would be worth a try.
portahunter
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:48 am

no never tried it, but if you ever need a hand shooting those snows don't hesitate to call! :toofunny:
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby tjkellyc4 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:30 pm

i usually put out 4 or 5 goose decoys with the ducks. although i set the geese off a few yards away from the duck decoys, kind of in their own group. seems to work goood.
tjkellyc4
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:49 pm

Usually at least a pair of floaters to act as a confindent decoys. More times than not though we have close to a dozen goose decoys out with our ducks.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:26 pm

we usually use a few on the side but early in the season everybody does it so we dont because it seems like the ducks get shy of it but this year we have shot 9 geese whille duck hunting and its lucky to get 1 or 2 a year that way
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:42 pm

it used to be 6 goose floaters, now its 11, i love bonus geese and i also think ducks see geese and think "wow geese are smart, i wanna be there, lets go land"
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:44 pm

In the second half of the season I dump alot of my duck decoys and go to about 3 or 4 doz floaters and maybe 1 or 2 doz ducks. Those ducks come right in to the goose floaters.
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum