All Feeder Geese

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

All Feeder Geese

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:58 pm

What do you guys think would be the outcome if you were to put out all FFD feeder goose decoys?
Black Smoke
hunter

Re: All Feeder Geese

Postby O.D.Lid » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:02 pm

I have never :no: seen a flock of geese without at least 1 head up that 1 may change while you are watching but as soon as one head goes down another one comes up!
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:05 am

I think people "think" too much. If you're in the right field, are hidden well I don't think the geese will look at the decoys much.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:33 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I think people "think" too much. If you're in the right field, are hidden well...

If one could always manage that, he'd not need to think much.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:34 pm

O.D.Lid wrote:I have never :no: seen a flock of geese without at least 1 head up that 1 may change while you are watching but as soon as one head goes down another one comes up!

Agree!! Can's always are looking around

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I think people "think" too much. If you're in the right field, are hidden well I don't think the geese will look at the decoys much.

Agree here as well!! People over think this stuff....
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:I think people "think" too much. If you're in the right field, are hidden well I don't think the geese will look at the decoys much.

See there's these things called "fences" and over these fences other people own fields that don't necessarily let people hunt so always being "in the right field" is not realistic for most so we have to pull them from where they're going and they WILL look at the decoys and be skeptical.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 am

luie b wrote:

See there's these things called "fences" and over these fences other people own fields that don't necessarily let people hunt so always being "in the right field" is not realistic for most so we have to pull them from where they're going and they WILL look at the decoys and be skeptical.

Look at Cupped and Committed's LOCATION. He is in a state that gets as much if not MORE competition for fields than you Sooners ever will. Small state...TINY, LITTLE STATE, LOTS of hunters and limited access. If you are on the x the birds won't give your spread a second look and dump in without so much as a first pass as long as the decoys are upright and don't look like a special needs 5 year old put them out. Early season is usually even easier.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:40 pm

dsm16428 wrote:
luie b wrote:

Look at Cupped and Committed's LOCATION. He is in a state that gets as much if not MORE competition for fields than you Sooners ever will. Small state...TINY, LITTLE STATE, LOTS of hunters and limited access. If you are on the x the birds won't give your spread a second look and dump in without so much as a first pass as long as the decoys are upright and don't look like a special needs 5 year old put them out. Early season is usually even easier.

You apparently haven't been to Illinois then. People don't let you mushroom hunt anymore in the spring on their ground because they're afraid it will disrupt the deer, let alone give you the chance to shoot ducks and geese on their "deer hunting land."
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby brickgw » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:31 pm

luie b wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:
luie b wrote:

You apparently haven't been to Illinois then. People don't let you mushroom hunt anymore in the spring on their ground because they're afraid it will disrupt the deer, let alone give you the chance to shoot ducks and geese on their "deer hunting land."

It's not just the deer hunting ground either. In certain areas you'd have a hard time finding a field that hasn't already been leased.
brickgw
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:08 pm

And who's fault is that? The deer INDUSTRY and that's exactly what it is, has more than tripled the price of land in many counties that hold big deer in a little over a decade. The only people that can afford it are folks with a lot of free income to have the capital to buy it at these insane prices. Look at the price per acre of land in IL now compared to say 1999. Rediculous. Its only natural that the waterfowl access would be affected as well. Simple trickle down effect. Having all that land locked down doesn't affect how birds are going to react to a decoy spread though. It the sheer number of hunters...usually doing it wrong and educating birds that do. Poor hides, shooting into large bunches of birds,throwing out the same cookie cutter spread day in and day out and a host of other factors are what make birds hard to hunt, NOT what land is fenced and what isn't. Has NOTHING to do with it...
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:10 pm

I'd imagine all feeders would be fine for your early season. I'm in Sioux Falls rights now and the local birds are oblivious
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:12 am

dsm16428 wrote:And who's fault is that? The deer INDUSTRY and that's exactly what it is, has more than tripled the price of land in many counties that hold big deer in a little over a decade. The only people that can afford it are folks with a lot of free income to have the capital to buy it at these insane prices. Look at the price per acre of land in IL now compared to say 1999. Rediculous. Its only natural that the waterfowl access would be affected as well. Simple trickle down effect. Having all that land locked down doesn't affect how birds are going to react to a decoy spread though. It the sheer number of hunters...usually doing it wrong and educating birds that do. Poor hides, shooting into large bunches of birds,throwing out the same cookie cutter spread day in and day out and a host of other factors are what make birds hard to hunt, NOT what land is fenced and what isn't. Has NOTHING to do with it...

It does have a lot to do with it when you aren't allowed in the field the geese are going to... I don't think you understand the situation...
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:19 am

I do understand. I lived in the midwest for 6 years and have hunted IL, MO, and KS for deer, turkey and waterfowl. It's the same thing every where you go with the same complaints heard from the masses. "No decent state land to hunt", "All the good proerties are leased or posted", blah, blah, blah. Hunters say the exact same thing in every state. Illinois is nothing special in that regard. Il is no harder to gain access to private land to hunt than PA and believe me, PA is about as difficult as it gets. If it isn't State Game Lands, it has posted signs around it...
dsm16428
hunter

Postby brickgw » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:30 am

I think IL has some very good public ground to hunt. I agree that unethical hunting practices no doubt make it harder! I don't think anyone should not be able to shoot some geese in IL because permission is tough to come by. There's a lot of geese to be killed on state ground if your willing to work for it....or you can just lease a pit :lol:
brickgw
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:27 am

Edited when I realized the thread was going off topic!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 am

wanapasaki, thanks for the response and others that I looked over. I live in IN so I am not worried about Illinois. I hope IN doesn't ever turn into places that you guys are explaining.
Black Smoke
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum