tips for field hunting

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

tips for field hunting

Postby geotreb » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:07 pm

I'm pretty new to goose hunting, but want to try hunting from fields.
I'm in MT and we have quite a bit of big river water near productive grain fields (wheat, barley, oat, alfalfa and some potatoes).

Any good tips for hunting geese in field situations like that? Mostly, I'm looking at irrigated fields (harvested this year) within 4 miles of big rivers (like the Missouri) and large lakes that I know hold geese.
Is that sort of distance too far to be considered a good place to hunt?

I know, I know, you have to see if they feed on that field, but if my options are limited (ie, public ground) have any of you taken a chance on setting a spread on a field that far from water with the hope geese might take a look at your spread, without confirming that geese are actively feeding there?

I do know that geese at least fly OVER those fields.....

Any other general tips for the novice goose hunting, that you wish you knew when you started out?

Thanks guys!
geotreb
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:33 pm

You can hunt those spots if you know that geese are flying over. Alot of people call it "running traffic." This is what we mainly do because it is hard to gain permission some times. Anyhow the theroy most use for running traffice is a large number of decoys to pull birds into a place they don't really want to go. I would give it a try with whatever decoys you could muster and get a flag to gain the birds attention. That is not saying you won't shoot birds with a small number of decoys, this is just what many people go by. If you have anymore questions go ahead an post them on this thread and I am sure they will get prompt answers and advice.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby geotreb » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:49 pm

No, that's great advise.

What decoys do you like using. I know for quantity, I am going to be looking at mostly shells... I know this is the age old question and I see it's been asked in various forms here... but, I guess, again, what shells do you guys prefer - especially if on a budget.

Also, for the situation you mentioned, how many decoys would you suggest using? I know you said a large number, but are talking 30? 50? 100?
or just the most you can scrounge?

And...what's more important in a situation like this: The number of decoys, or the size? How much importance would you place on magnum size decoys if you are running traffic like you say?

Thanks a lot, this is helping me a ton, this is the sort of stuff you can't read about in a book!
geotreb
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:58 am

The "real" goose hunters (I'm aparently not one of them) will throw out 10 - 20 dozen, I've heard of spreads as big as 1500. But don't worry about those big numbers. When I first started I used one dozen silouttes and got my share of birds. I'd recommed you pick up a dozen shells, that will suit you just fine. The first dozen shells I baught were Feather Flex, Cabelas used to carry them but don't anymore. I baught a dozen for $69.00, they are made out of foam and are very light to carry (but also not good for windy situations) And buy, or make, a flag, they work great for getting the attention of birds that normally woulnd't pay any attention to a small flock of deeks. You can invest in a call, but don't take it into the field just yet. You don't want to use a call unless you are comfortable with it, one bad note is enough to flare a flock. And what ever you do, make sure you are concealed well
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:33 am

:withstupid:

Get a flag, and if you don't have one wave your arms like a goose.

Silouettes are nice and easy to transport. Avery makes a nice flocked head shell for a pretty good price.

I think with a flag, a dozen dekes, and some basic honks from your call you will be able to get the birds to take a look. When they do, like Boomn says, make sure you are well concealed and get ready. There's nothing like the rush of 30 geese with their feet down in your face!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:38 pm

We use a combo of fullbodies and shells . All of them are Avery. Right now we are using about about 50 decoys and it has worked pretty well...so far. Later we will put out some more but not anything over 75. Just no reason around us. I would put out whatever you can scrounge. Like Boom said don't call if you don't know how, it will not help if you don't know how to call.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby PatCies83 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Between myself and another guy I hunt with, we run about 60 fullbodys and another 9 doz shells only in the late season. I go for looks over numbers....start where ever you can!!
PatCies83
hunter

Postby PatCies83 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:22 pm

NickCies80 wrote:said don't call if you don't know how, it will not help if you don't know how to call.
Nick

I don't know about that...The only way you can get better is by using your call. Just start with a easy call and just cluck and honk on it to get their attention.
PatCies83
hunter

Postby geotreb » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:11 pm

I have a DVD and a buddy helping me use the flute (I've tried the short reed too, and I decided at this stage I'd botch using it in the field... I'd get too excited, make a crappy call(s) and make every goose with 1 mile go the opposite way) - I'm not going to get too crazy until I master it - and it seems everything I've read says less is more, especially if your calls are less than perfect....
geotreb
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:12 pm

Just try to pick up the basics. If you learn the basics of flagging, calling and set-ups you will be sucessful most days. Try things out and go from there. Good Luck :thumbsup:

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby inthelips » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:35 pm

You are getting lots of great advice here. Every situation calls for different actions. Sometimes you can do the same thing and have it work and sometimes you can't. I have been chasing geese for 25 years and I still do not have it figured out, and I am guessing I may never. Which is just another reason to keep going out there.

I happen to have 30 (?) magnum goose shells in my garage. I have been holding on to them thinking that one day I will use them again--has not happened. If you are interested it may be a great opportunity for you to increase your spread number for cheap. I too live in SW MT. PM me if you are interested.

And always remember, there is nothing better than being on the 'X'!
inthelips
hunter

Postby geotreb » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:07 pm

This is all great advise - thanks guys!

I have tried hunting that very field and have called several flights in - there's not a ton of geese flying over, but I have gotten some interested "parties" to come in - resulting in some shots and some geese!

You're so right, it is sooo cool to watch those feet dangle before your very eyes. Duck hunting is fun.. but THIS is too fun!

Thanks again guys :)
geotreb
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:22 pm

Glad you had some got some birds. It so cool to watch those big bird come in feet down. If you need and more help we are always here. Good job. :thumbsup:

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum