Wind Sucks

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Wind Sucks

Postby Grounder » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:19 pm

Tell me what you guys would do or have done in the past in this situation. Today was the last day of goose season in my area and I had a great field picked out. There were about fivehundred birds in there for the past two nights and I woke up to foutyfive mph winds. Ands since we hunt with all foots ands GHG fullbodys we called it off thinking nothing would stand up.
Grounder
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:56 pm

If it was close to where the geese were getting up at. They might not have flew far the most probly would have been 3-4 miles, that is my guess. I would have went out you could have taken all of the feet off of the decoys and used them as shell decoys then they might not fall over.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:40 pm

last day and you are pretty sure that there are going to be birds? I would have found some way of staking those things down! A bad hunt is better than no hunt.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:44 pm

A bad hunt is better than no hunt.

:withstupid:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Wind

Postby HARDCORE WATERFOWLER » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:04 pm

HARDCORE WATERFOWLER
HARDCORE WATERFOWLER
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:49 pm

yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:06 am

Sound to me like you need to get some silos, hawkeye silos and some shells you can stake down in such a situation. Maybe the birds did not fly, but you would not know since you did not go out. Black tent stakes and deke cord could be an option for your bigfoots. Drill a hole in the feet and tap stakes through them.

Get out of the house and hunt. Then have a few beers and talk about how good or bad it was. :salude: :thumbsup:
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Grounder » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:19 am

Ya after that experience I am for sure going to come up with some kind of stakeing system thanks for the tips
Grounder
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:55 am

Coleman tent stakes spray painted black. Camping section of Wal mart or Target.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby aaron » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:24 pm

45 mph winds mean one thing ; PASS SHOOT !!! Those kinds of winds are taylor-made for pass shooting . Give that a try next time you get gale force winds and leave your dekes at home.
aaron
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:31 pm

I usually pass shoot over water, on the rare occasion we get to pass shoot, and over water pass shooting in true 45mph winds usually means the bird floats on the water faster than the dog can move in my experience....
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:44 pm

If you get them to turn into the wind, they will be standing still for you. Like shooting fish in a barrell. Miss, though, and you will not get a second shot in that wind.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby 10GAUGE19 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:56 am

I don't mean to be rude...but, that has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard! :thumbsdown: Last day of the season....wind.....500 geese in the field for two days....hum..let's not go because it's too windy! :withstupid: Heck, you could have just taken some old metal hangers and cut the bottom section out and bent them into a U-shape and staked out a dozen foots and probably knocked the crap out of them. Actually, you probably wouldn't have had to do a thing to the foot's. Next time it's too windy and you have a field with 500 birds in it..please call me! I don't care if it's blowing a hundred MPH...I'll find a way to kill'em!
Pilots love to fly "HIGH"
10GAUGE19
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:54 am

I don't mean to be rude...but, that has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard! Last day of the season....wind.....500 geese in the field for two days....hum..let's not go because it's too windy! Heck, you could have just taken some old metal hangers and cut the bottom section out and bent them into a U-shape and staked out a dozen foots and probably knocked the crap out of them. Actually, you probably wouldn't have had to do a thing to the foot's. Next time it's too windy and you have a field with 500 birds in it..please call me! I don't care if it's blowing a hundred MPH...I'll find a way to kill'em!

:withstupid: :yes: :yes: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ditto
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:02 am

:withstupid: Too windy? :eek: There's no CRYING in baseball :laughing: :laughing:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Grounder » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:58 am

Good luck sticking hangers in ground that has been frozen for about a month or so. But I figured I would get some jelous hunters to reply sorry you don't have any fields with birds in them maybe next year we can get together and I'll put you on some birds..............thanks for the tips guys.
Grounder
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:00 am

Jealous? I didn't get that feeling from any of these posts and nobody said anything about not having birds. You asked what we would do in this situation and I think the feeling was mutual. HUNT!
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:35 am

You could take a 2x4 and drive a long heavy gauge nail into the end of it part way. Cut the nail off and grind a point where the head was and make a cut out step to use your foot to poke holes in the frozen ground. Hunt with a buddy and have him poke the holes while you tap in the stakes or hangers.

Anything thing is possible with some thought and engineering skills.

Sorry if we hurt your feelings, but we tend to be honest. Try thickening up that skin. Lighten up and have a beer. :salude: We're all just tyring to help, in our own way.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Giv'em3 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:23 am

Grounder, didn't mean to make you mad, just having fun. :umm: I use a poker kinda like Archeryrob said, it works. I'll buy this round. :salude: :thumbsup:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby Grounder » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:06 am

I don't know what you guys are talking about I'm tring to ask you guys if you want to get together and maybe shoot a few birds next year a ya I'm sure we'll end up throwing a few back. Get back to me
Grounder
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:52 am

Never too windy to go. I was in SD one year and it was blowing so hard we could hardly stand up. We laid down over a slight hill so we could be out of it a little and put out just a few decoys stacked down between corn and a small pond. Shot singles and doubles just looking for a place to set down and get out of the wind. It was a hoot. We missed the first couple even though they were standing still in the air. Then we figured the wind was blowing the shot off line and started shooting into the wind about 3 feet. Started killing them then. You should see how far one goes down wind stone dead when the wind is gusting like 50 or 60 mph. Lot’s of stuff is no fun or about a waste of time in the wind but ducksand geese are worth the effort especially when they are heading south. Bad weather is always good water fowling IMO.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum