geese decoy start up

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

geese decoy start up

Postby broncodan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Hey guys,
so im relatively new to waterfowl hunting and especially goose hunting! but i love going out. I have about 3 dozen floater duck decoys. ie mallard and teals. but this year i wanted to get into field hunting. I have a few fields in my area but who knows if thats going to be the X come season start. but i was wondering about decoy set up. I was wondering what you guys recommend for a good starter set up. type of decoys and amounts. i bought a lay out blind but im looking into geting some decs. Im just out of college so im balling on a budget. is a starter pack with about 6 to 12 full bodies and some feeder socks for fillers the way yo go???
thank
dan
broncodan
hunter

Re: geese decoy start up

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Try looking on Goose Hunting Chat.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:54 am

4 dozen silhouettes.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Agree with DSM... come on over to GHC and talk goose with us! To answer your question.... Think Silos. Won't break your bank and rthose things will work! Trust me :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby broncodan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 pm

thanks guy! that helps. Im think the silos as well! and i dont have to fill the garage with full bodies!Good luck this upcoming year!
broncodan
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:12 am

Ditto on the Silos. I made my own.

http://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/326/
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Do yourself a favor and get a couple dozen FB's and a dozen shells. Thats what I started with.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:11 am

Don't go out and think the silhouettes are the way to go, don't know where you're located but if you have cold temps with frozen fields you can't sink a stake in the ground to use silhouettes. I'll say as a minimum to kill geese you'll need at least a dozen usually but I hunt shells only and most the time only use 2 dozen which works a lot of the time but it's not a "spectacular spread" in any way. It's a challenge killing them with that few of deeks. Don't necessarily go and think you need full bodies shells work great and are easy to haul and store. But a few full bodies mixed in with shells can make the spread look really awesome!
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 am

luie b wrote:Don't go out and think the silhouettes are the way to go, don't know where you're located but if you have cold temps with frozen fields you can't sink a stake in the ground to use silhouettes.

Auger bit for a cordless drill- $6
Stake punch from Real Geese - $30
You can make your own stake punch for other brands that use small diameter round stakes really easy.

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:29 pm

tornadochaser wrote:
luie b wrote:Don't go out and think the silhouettes are the way to go, don't know where you're located but if you have cold temps with frozen fields you can't sink a stake in the ground to use silhouettes.

Auger bit for a cordless drill- $6
Stake punch from Real Geese - $30
You can make your own stake punch for other brands that use small diameter round stakes really easy.

This.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Tornadochaser beat me to it.
!/4" wood auger. Longest you can find. Might have to go thru snow over the dirt, but the dirt marks the spot when it boils up out of the hole. Used it when mounting pole flappers in years past, and now it looks like I'll be using it for staked decoys.
Bit of hassle, but works.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum