Field Spread

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Field Spread

Postby mrleo25 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:14 am

This wil be my first season for field hunting geese and i have a couple questions. The area i hunt doesn't have alot of field hunting if any that i know of. A few ponds around that i know get shot. Will hunting pressure over water make the birds skittish over field spreads? Also right now the season will begin in about a week. I have been seeing flocks ranging from 6 - 20 birds in them. So when season opens up should i match the size of the spread to the flock sizes? I have 2 dozen shells and 1 dozen fullbodies.
mrleo25
hunter

Postby alwayshuntin » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:26 am

i would use 2 dozen shells and 1 dozen fullbodys. i have seen some of them get scared from being shot at over the water but then seen others just land right in the dekes.
good luck
alwayshuntin
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:38 am

You need to scout them now and find where they are going and landing. Practice your calling and try and be where they want to be.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cam » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:46 pm

use every decoy you can find we us 25 dozen full bodys almost every goose that flys by gives you a look
cam
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum