Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 pm

In just over a half a month Canada goose season comes in. I'm needing to get some shells I was thinking of going #2 steel this way I could use it for duck when the season comes in. Will #2 steel be fine? Also Dove and C.G. season comes in the same day with deer season starting the following week I love this time of year.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Re: #2

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:11 pm

We run steel 2s and 1s almost exclusively through the early season and into the late Feb. Season here in PA. A modest size load going 1400-1500 fps will stone a goose to 40+ yards with ease. I'm a goose hunter first but when I know the chance ducks will hit the spread when they're in season I'll run 2s for both.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 am

#2s and a 20 ga work for me.....................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:03 am

I thought about using my 20 gauge.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Unless I'm in the boat this year, I'll have the mag 10 loaded with #2s, and the A400 with #3s.
If I'm traveling by boat, it will be #2s in the A400 for all.

By the way, there are lots of Honkers in the air morning and evening now in our little town, and I have a friend who tells me the sound of 'em is really making him hate them lots. (His way of saying he can hardly wait for opening day!)
Of course he's saying that with a big smile on his face.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:23 pm

#2 will work just fine
mojo coot
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 pm

#1's plenty of density for ducks with far better knockdown power on big resident geese. Or if you want the best of all worlds #4 hevi-shot goose. Pricey but when a goose drops on every trigger pull it gets close to the price of multiple steel loads per goose. Good luck go get em
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 pm

I would step up to Hevi Metal if you are shooting 2's or even Hevi Shot. Sure steel "might" work, but I can say for a certainty I've seen loads of honkers get a face full of smaller steel (2,3,4) just to keep flying away. Won't say it WONT work, but I'd spend the extra and KNOW it will work.
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:07 pm

rebelcj7 wrote:I can say for a certainty I've seen loads of honkers get a face full of smaller steel (2,3,4) just to keep flying away.

Wouldn't buy a used car from this guy.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:06 am

rebelcj7 wrote:I would step up to Hevi Metal if you are shooting 2's or even Hevi Shot. Sure steel "might" work, but I can say for a certainty I've seen loads of honkers get a face full of smaller steel (2,3,4) just to keep flying away. Won't say it WONT work, but I'd spend the extra and KNOW it will work.

I've seen honkers take a load of 3.5" hevishot BB and fly away. Tungsten doesn't make up for poor shooting.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:00 am

"A face full" of anything will end their day. But when feathers fly and so does the bird, it's a pretty safe bet it was hit in the duster, instead of the handle.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby robert331 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Rick Hall wrote:"A face full" of anything will end their day. But when feathers fly and so does the bird, it's a pretty safe bet it was hit in the duster, instead of the handle.

I've killed geese with 2 3/4 #6 12GA teal load at 35+ yards. You hit that head and he's comin down. #2 is fine it is a great all around load.
robert331
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:58 am

tornadochaser wrote:
rebelcj7 wrote:I would step up to Hevi Metal if you are shooting 2's or even Hevi Shot. Sure steel "might" work, but I can say for a certainty I've seen loads of honkers get a face full of smaller steel (2,3,4) just to keep flying away. Won't say it WONT work, but I'd spend the extra and KNOW it will work.

I've seen honkers take a load of 3.5" hevishot BB and fly away. Tungsten doesn't make up for poor shooting.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Ill second that cause ive done it!
Rick Hall wrote:"A face full" of anything will end their day. But when feathers fly and so does the bird, it's a pretty safe bet it was hit in the duster, instead of the handle.

and thats why it got away
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Last weekend Teal hunting in IL I had a group of geese come in at approx. 35 yards and I had #4's in the gun. Three shots later two geese were laying deader than a doornail on the water and the third was swimming circles doing the backwards head bob until another load of #4s connected to his noggin. Right now I still have a smattering of BB,2s and 4s in my blind bag but once they are all gone I will be packing #2s exclusively.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Threejs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:18 pm

I have been shooting hevi-metal BBs all season. Shot a box and got 6 geese. My friend was teasing me about getting old as I was a good shot in the past. Today I loaded a black cloud #2 followed by the hevi metal. My first shot folded a goose. I absolutely crushed it. My next 2 shots left me with a few feathers. Im not saying i made perfect shots with the last 2 shots. Im also not saying black cloud is better than hevimetal. I am saying that in the past 15 years i kill more geese with #2 than BB. I keep going back to BB because everyone says its so great. I am going to put the BB away and shoot the handful of #2 i have and see how it goes.
Threejs
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:21 am

Threejs wrote:I have been shooting hevi-metal BBs all season. Shot a box and got 6 geese. My friend was teasing me about getting old as I was a good shot in the past. Today I loaded a black cloud #2 followed by the hevi metal. My first shot folded a goose. I absolutely crushed it. My next 2 shots left me with a few feathers. Im not saying i made perfect shots with the last 2 shots. Im also not saying black cloud is better than hevimetal. I am saying that in the past 15 years i kill more geese with #2 than BB. I keep going back to BB because everyone says its so great. I am going to put the BB away and shoot the handful of #2 i have and see how it goes.

Pattern your gun! You likely have a shoddy pattern running those HM's. They can be very finicky loads to get to pattern well.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Threejs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:46 pm

I did pattern my gun. Twice!! It shoots the BB tight. I'm sure it's not the ammo. I'm sure I'm not putting enough lead on them.
Threejs
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18 am

My guess is that you are shooting over/under them and the extra pattern density of the 2's allowed you to snag him with the edge of the pattern and kill it, where you only get feathers with the edge of a BB pattern.

If you can center the pattern, 1 1/8 of #BBB will kill a goose at 40 yards. There is no need to go to #2's, and IMO its just a risk. If you accidentally body punch one he is going to be crippled. Not something I want to do. I won't shoot anything less than #BB if I am TARGETING geese. There is no logical reason to go with #2's over #BB if you are a good enough shot to center the bird in the pattern.

If you want to shoot both ducks and geese with the same load, go to 1 1/4 of #1's in a 3" shell or 1 1/2 of #1's in a 3.5" shell. Plenty of power in #1's to kill a goose with an accidental body punch, yet plenty of pellets to kill medium and large ducks all day long.

When someone shows up to goose hunt with me with #2 shot, I hand them a handful of #BB. If they don't accept they aren't getting another call from me to go hunting again. #2's on giant canadas is just not ethical IMO. Yeah it will kill them most of the time, but I don't want to risk it.

I have seen a few get smacked with #2's, fall to about 10 feet over the water like they are dead and then catch wing and take off a foot over the water across the marsh/river only to die somewhere else.

Here is my disclaimer, I am talking about giant canadas. Our birds average 12-13lbs. If you are shooting regulars or lessers, your results may differ.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Threejs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:14 pm

I am not going to argue about the fact that i am not centering the bird in my pattern. I cant say anymore without somebody saying #2 shot is no good. I can say that in the last week I have hunted only 2 times. I have killed 2 geese in 2 shots with black cloud #2. It will work. Is BB better? Maybe. I will tell you more in 2 months with more testing. i have about 60 3.5" BB that i am going to try before i give up on it.
Threejs
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum