Sentry

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Sentry

Postby birdblaster » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:28 pm

Do you incorporate a sentry within a family or do you put it somewhere else? Also, what type of decoys other than feeders and sentries should you have in your spread (and how many)?
birdblaster
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:12 pm

Well GHG has the calling type and the active types. They look good, but you don't need many of them in your spread, heck I don't think you need them really it just makes the spread look just a little better.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:47 am

I have 3.5 dz foots and only 3 sentries. I generally put them out just atad farther from the main group. Watch real geese, observe how the sentries position them selves. As for family groups, I use them early in the season,but as the season progtresses, I use them less and less as they all mix up. Again observe the real deal and copy what they are doing.

I like different head styles, definately some resters heads are neded. Some sleeper/preening heads are bice too.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:07 pm

H2O has a couple excellent points - drop the family group thing as the season progresses....by now there are few specific family flocks...the flocks are migrating flocks of many intermingled families now.....as for sentrys, I make sure they are on the outside edge, are one for every half dozen decoys and they are in the lead of any line.....as I have observed the flocks in my area to be......I also mix in a few shells at this point, since more geese will sit in the snow or hay for energy/warmth conservation
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum