Do geese see a dog in the field?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Do geese see a dog in the field?

Postby dirtyj » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:41 am

Please give me your opinions

I hunt this one filed from a layout blind and don't have a problem hiding in my dekes. The geese usually make a pass or 2 then come in. If I bring my dog out, it seems as though they shy away which I assume is due to them seeing her. Has anyone else ever had this occur? I got a Mut Hut and will try this, but I'd like to hear from some guys who have experienced this.

I watch some of the shows on TV and they seem to have the dog sitting right in the open while the geese tolll in. I have duck hunted in spots where I know they see the dog, and they come right in too. I don't think ducks care as much as long as the dog is not moving.

Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks
dirtyj
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:54 am

As long as the dog is still it's ok. I've heard mixed reviews on the mut huts. I don't have one, but the word on the street goes both ways. It's a high profile blind which some say sticks out like a sore thumb, but others say it's a must have. Let us know how it works out.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby goosetalk » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:47 am

I heard of people having their black labs run through the dekes for motion when geese are off in the distance. Then they call back when the geese start coming. We take a dog box right out in the field, but thats b/c our dog is so luvy-duvy that she practically sits on you until you pet her.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:44 am

My buddies and I always have our dogs in our blind with us. Have them lay between your legs with their head facing the foot of the blind. They have to be trained tostay until sent though, if they break they will end up knocking your gun out of your hands or somthing.

This is yet another reason why I hate Finisher blinds, because they are too small to do this.
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:48 pm

I would not put a dog in the blind if I were you. The muzzle blast is going to be right over your dogs head and this could hurt your pup's hearing. I would use the mutt hut and use some silos or fullbodies to help hide the high profile. Do some training so he stay still while in his blind. Just my .02.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby Erik Olsen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:40 pm

or if the dog jumps up he is into your muzzle. local guy did that doesnt hunt anymore after that.
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:21 pm

:withstupid: another good reason to use the hut.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:47 am

This year we had a great field and one of the guest guys asked if he could bring a dog..We set up dog blind and all first two flocks were great..after that the black lab was running all over the place between the dekes and would not come back. right away.it picked up some dead birds.., no cripples, and would stick it's head out of the hut....we told the handler to control the dog.'s movements, .anyways we shot 4 small flocks and the other 10 potential ganed altitude and swung by...a real bad hunt....anyways until a dog is proven ..controlled in the field...I would not let one in my spread again..this dog may have been a good cattail dog but not a field one..many years ago I had a big black lab Lucky..he ate the first bird's guts then after that on the next birds ..he would settle down and be right on the money.
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Dog has to be Steady.....a Steady dog is a safe one....

Postby Honkers41 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Agree...the dog has to be steady in the field....far as i seen...aslong as the Dogs don't move....the geese won't flare....i've seen them lock up while a dog was bringing a crippled in once....but like i said.....Steady dog is the best..!!! So yes they see a dog in the field.....Honkers41

Honkers41
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:15 pm

I've also heard that if you have a black lab running around in the field with the geese in the distance it seems to help, sorta looks like honkers landing. But you need to call them back to the blind when they get closer. I've only heard this in a DU article so not sure if it works. I have a yellow so that leaves me out.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:21 pm

My black lab lies right next to me outside my layout blind. She is steady, but sometimes likes to look around at the geese when they are circling. She'll sit up and turn to watch them as they go over still out of range. If I'm feeling like it I'll put a camo cloth over her, but we've had geese feet down plenty of times with her out in the open.

Last weekend I let her get up and move around after having been steady for over an hour. Wouldn't you know it a goose came out of no where. The thing flew over the spread and we dropped it right next to the dog. Made for an easier retrieve!

In the end, I don't think you need a dog blind. From what I've seen the geese don't really care about the dog as long as it is quiet. Being still helps, but a small amount of movement is ok. If you can get the dog to lie down it will lower it's profile and that is good.

I've been thinking about painting white cheek patches on the dog to turn her into a decoy, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby dirtyj » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:40 pm

Please send pix if you paint the dog.

My dog is a yellow and she is good about staying still, just turns her and and watches like she should be. I've tried her with a vest on and on cloudy days, but it seems like they still see her.

Maybe they are residents and not migrants?
dirtyj
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:59 pm

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby Richard C » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 am

Sweet Video!!!!
Richard C
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum