Goose Decoys

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Goose Decoys

Postby Rich- » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 pm

This is going to be my first year hunting canadian geese. What decoys and how many should I start out with? My plan is to hunt from a layout blind on land only this season.
Rich-
hunter

Re: Goose Decoys

Postby JON » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 pm

Why bother...pass shooting is much easier. Just get downwind of someone else's spread... maybe 90-110 yards, and you will kill quite a few birds with significantly less work.
JON
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:30 am

I like Bigfoot. Larger yes but very durable. And they look like a goose. If you scour the Internet you will not find a more popular decoy brand when it comes to the opinions of hunters. I run those and FFD life size and FFD Oversized Shells from GHG. Will probably add some FFD lessers this year for walk in hunts.

If you choose to bag them the Rogers 6 slot will accommodate Bigfoots if you take the bases off. They make a Bigfoot 6 slot bag but I wouldn't recommend it. It's HUGE and very cumbersome.

How many? it really depends on how many birds your dealing with, are you on the X or are you running traffic? Lots of birds generally more decoys to mimic what's in the area. On the X-you can use less. Running traffic-as many as you can put out to draw them. Starting-Get a dozen and a flag. You can shoot a lot of geese over those. I had 16 when I started and killed plenty over them. Flag is critical for drawing geese from a distance and finishing them.

After season through summer are great times to buy. Stores want old stock gone and usually have the best pricing of the year. A good way to build your spread without really draining the bank account. Also Craigslist and classified sections of hunting forums can afford you more decoys for less if you go in the pre-owned market. I bought 30 Bigfoots for $150 off a forum from a guy getting out of it.

Best of Luck
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby robert331 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:45 pm

A-Bomb wrote:I like Bigfoot. Larger yes but very durable. And they look like a goose. If you scour the Internet you will not find a more popular decoy brand when it comes to the opinions of hunters. I run those and FFD life size and FFD Oversized Shells from GHG. Will probably add some FFD lessers this year for walk in hunts.

If you choose to bag them the Rogers 6 slot will accommodate Bigfoots if you take the bases off. They make a Bigfoot 6 slot bag but I wouldn't recommend it. It's HUGE and very cumbersome.

How many? it really depends on how many birds your dealing with, are you on the X or are you running traffic? Lots of birds generally more decoys to mimic what's in the area. On the X-you can use less. Running traffic-as many as you can put out to draw them. Starting-Get a dozen and a flag. You can shoot a lot of geese over those. I had 16 when I started and killed plenty over them. Flag is critical for drawing geese from a distance and finishing them.

After season through summer are great times to buy. Stores want old stock gone and usually have the best pricing of the year. A good way to build your spread without really draining the bank account. Also Craigslist and classified sections of hunting forums can afford you more decoys for less if you go in the pre-owned market. I bought 30 Bigfoots for $150 off a forum from a guy getting out of it.

Best of Luck

If you don't want to spend a pile of money on full-bodies just yet get you some silos. I got some from Dive Bomb Industries and used them last week end and we shot geese that were standing in the middle of them. Plus they are only $70 a dozen and alot easier to haul and set up. But make sure like he said get you a flag you can have all the dekes in the world but if you can't turn them they are useless. I always take at least two flags to the field.
robert331
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:49 am

JON wrote:Why bother...pass shooting is much easier. Just get downwind of someone else's spread... maybe 90-110 yards, and you will kill quite a few birds with significantly less work.
Might make some enemies doing this, not sure.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Boocephus wrote:
JON wrote:Why bother...pass shooting is much easier. Just get downwind of someone else's spread... maybe 90-110 yards, and you will kill quite a few birds with significantly less work.
Might make some enemies doing this, not sure.

Yea not to mention it's illegal. Interfering with a hunt. I have had this happen while water hunting,fisherman sitting 100yds off my decoys till I get a flock to committee and they sit down there fishing rod and pick up there shotguns and shoot,and all they do is flair the geese skybusting. Pissed me off so much I called it in and game commission came down and busted them.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:29 am

We shot 8 honkers opening day in a traffic field using only 22 big foots. I don't think I've ever seen geese bank so hard into a decoy spread then what I saw. Gotta love bigfoots
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:15 am

don't listen to this guy lol good way to get some bb's in your @$$ lol :welcome:
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:52 am

Makes sense to hunt off of someone that knows what they are doing lol

Joking aside, don't blow a ton of money on "the most realistic" decoys out there. Check out what you are seeing in your area as far as the geese in the fields. That should determine around how many you'll need. Sounds stupid I know. But when I see just a dozen geese landing in our fields, I take around 8-10 bigfoots and maybe 3 shells out. Also, you can kill geese with a variety of decoys. I still set out my 6 supermag shells that are big enough to hide under mixed with small shells and bigfoots. I will say that learning how to flag geese will make a world of difference.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 pm

For starters just keep an eye on craiglist and get yourself some used shells. Probably the easiest/cheapest way to build a decent size starter spread. As far as how many dekes you need. The only reason to have a really big spread in my mind is if you're hunting a heavily pressured area. We rarely run more than 3doz dekes, even in late season. The biggest thing to me is get on the X and make sure your @ss is hidden well.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

:fingerpt:. Got bless your soul if you do this.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 am

Around here you wouldnt make it back home due to flat tires and a few rounds of .45 in your truck. Not to mention you'd get trespassing charges.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 am

^ oooohhhh internet tough guy!:grin:

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Keep in mind, every big flock in the field generally starts with just a handfull of geese. Somebody has to get there first.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Goose bandit » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Dakota Decoys all the way. I run Most Dakota with some big foots to add a different color and because there cheaper. Also buy most off of craigslist if your not desperate just sit back and wait for good prices I keep an eye out everyday for a bargain and get quite a few like this.
Goose bandit
Newb

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum