geese over water

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

geese over water

Postby duckbuster » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:33 pm

i am thinking about hunting geese over small ponds next year for the early season what is the best advice of what to do and how to set up for them on the water????? any advice is welcomed greatly.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:45 pm

Try to find loafing areas that are used mid day by the geese. Don't go home early, cause most of the time it'll be around 11 am that they show up. Don't scare the big flocks off, just wait for the smaller ones, take a few, and get the hell out of there. It's even better if you've got some shoreline or a gravel/sand bar to put a few full bodys or shells.

As far as dekes go, try to go for a relaxed set. You don't need a ton of dekes, like you do in the fields. 2 dozen or even less should be plenty (I decoyed geese into a set of 12 mallards and 5 honkers this year).I like to leave plenty of space between dekes. Sometimes i put a line of birds off to the side to imitate a flock swimming in to join the party. Don't use more than a couple sentry heads. Your best off with a low profile head or a feeder head that you can swivel to look like a preening bird. I always throw out a few butts as well.
hawkdog
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum