Good advice to get birds

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Good advice to get birds

Postby Threejs » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:01 pm

I have been restricted on time in the field this year (stupid work). I have made the best of it though. I am fairly new to being serious about goose hunting even though i have hunted for years. We have been hunting small grain fields (wheat,oats, barley, rye). It has been fairly good going. I am in an area that has a lot of hunting pressure and we have been fairly successful. We get in a spot where the birds WANT to go. We get 2 or 3 shot opportunities at groups of birds. Its like they dont want to leave. Season just reopened with a 2 bird limit. I think we will have some short days ahead of us. With any luck anyway. So stay in those small grains prior to corn harvest and find where the birds want to go.
Threejs
hunter

Re: Good advice to get birds

Postby Threejs » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 pm

I would like to stress pre-corn harvest. We hunted a field that hard well over 100 birds working it 2 days ago. Today they are all but gone. We still got some good shooting in but it should have been a quick hunt. We didnt even limit out. We could see the birds in the air going to the areas where the dairymen have chopped their corn.
Threejs
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:32 am

So in other words...scout?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Threejs » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Basically. I totally jinxed myself by thinking I have any idea how to predict these birds. So I'm going to clam up now. As I write this 4 groups of birds (50-60) landed on my pond. Maybe my ideas will work better tomorrow.
Threejs
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum