Season coming to an End!

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Season coming to an End!

Postby sparky » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:54 am

Well with our Canadian hunting seasons coming to an end what has everyone learned this year??

Myself.........

I have learned that even though I have been waterfowl hunting for 12 years now I keep learning something new......

Need to scout out some new areas for next year as my old spot, which I have been hunting for several years is finally getting know by others and the birds are starting to become aware of my blind.

I never thought I'd see any teal in my area but I hunted not a 1/4 of a mile away from my blind and there were all kinds so I got my first teal this year.

Also I learned a great deal form a new hunting friend this year from hunting his spots..... Also got my first black duck ever as well......

As for the geese. over the summer months they did a big banding in my area and I saw a lot of banded geese... thought it was going to a good year to get a few. Well not sure where they went because I didn't get a one!! Don't be over confident is the leasson learned their!

So how about everyone else?

Any lessons learned or any nice experiences you'd like to share....

sparky
sparky
hunter

Postby Ross R » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:43 am

i havent been waterfowling for as long as you (only 3 seasons i started when i was 16) but i find myself learning a whole lot of things every time i go out.

Goose flags when used at the right times are deadly.
Shooting from a laydown blind is a whole lot different then shooting while standing.
Motion in a duck spread is key
when the ice looks safe it probobly isnt
full body duck decoys WORK! i have never been able to decoy mallards into cut corn fields here in NH and i put out 1/2 doz of th ghg full body ducks and those babys were on a fishing line to my spread.
i love hearing new things that people learned over the season! lets try and keep this thread going
Ross R
Forum & State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:55 am

The season is definately crashing to an end. We have a few weeks left and it should be good, but we are getting close to it. This is my 3rd season waterfowling, first really getting after the field geese, and we did much better than years past.

My lessons for the year:

Get there early. We got beat to one spot in early goose season and since then have set up at least an hour before shooting time.

Getting to your goose spot early lets you shoot the first light ducks that come by.

Keep a low profile. We all have layout blinds and they are even too high a lot of times. We have started digging out holes to lower the blinds.

Shoot in front of the geese. I am constantly shooting geese in the body, not the head. I think their slow wing beat gives the perception they are not moving as fast as they are.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:42 pm

Scout Scout Scout
I learned to keep track of hevily developed bodies of water. You dont need much more than one landowners concent to hunt em.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:03 pm

My season ended OcT 6..went out three times for 18 birds

I learned it is tough to beat hunting from a willow blind with a buddy after 40 years...old stories to pass the time and 360 degrees shooting....took turns shooting to observe and note faults to correct ASAP

used a laydown once was ok

forgot my flags at home

should have hunted the field I scouted with access versus the field my long time buddy scouted..were off the X by 80 yds

Not to let guests invited to join with uncontrollable dogs

Forgot how much fun snow pass shooting can be. in the morning.; if you are in the right flight path gunning them from tree rows especially when you are grouse hunting... birds were overhead 25 yds above tree top level wave after wave going to a field secured for me for the the afternoon hunt a mile away

Every bird I shot was eaten and/or gifted out to friends .. my friends told other friends and more people want birds..therefore I can shoot more variety next season
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby LFC » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:52 am

I agree with all of the above!
We added a few Silos against each of our layout blinds to help break them up.
LFC
LFC
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:13 am

My big "lessons learned" were already mentioned but I'll restate:

1. Layout blinds are the BEST THING EVER. This was my first year using a layout and what a difference. Laying on the ground under a sack just dosen't cut it.

2. Mojo's work really well

3. I've found a great public huting area that I never knew about.

4. Foam goose shells will blow really far away in a brisk wind

5. If you let you 6 year old nephew hold your goose call, he WILL blow it when geese are coming and he WILL take it apart and lose half of it
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gone winchester » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:24 am

What public area you talking about
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:30 pm

pickeral creek
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gone winchester » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:59 pm

ah yes I learned that as well too :salude:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby stevez » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:25 pm

I learned that using a goose call well is something I will be working on all summer until I get it right darnit!
I learned about this and one other online forum that have helped make my goose and duck hunting more enjoyable even on Sundays.
stevez
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum