getting decoys into a field

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

getting decoys into a field

Postby Take em boys » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:17 pm

the fields I hunt in Washington this year are hay fields this year farmer does not want me driving out into them like I could when it was wheat stubble also the fields I got in Idaho farmer wants no vehicles in them last year we hunted the Idaho fields once and it was a pain in the @$$ getting 5 dozen full bodies and blinds out their this year its looking like it will be me solo most the time with my girlfriend tagging along when weather is crappy (well you know blue skies not a blizzard :huh: ) so what do you guys do? I was thinking of getting a huge tarp and throwing them in their and dragging them out that way I have tried sleds (only can get like 6 on) tried game carts same as sled results

Any tips??

Colton :beer:
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: getting decoys into a field

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:26 am

5 dozen silhouettes. :(

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Long pieces of conduit. Run the conduit through the legs of the fullbodies and have two guys carry one in each hand. Should be able to carry 24 full bodies per trip with two guys. For shells, I put them in decoy bags. Can put 3 dozen in a large avery padded bag.

So if each guy grabs a bag and you both take the poles you should be able to carry 2 doz full bodies and 6 doz shells each trip.

If the farmer doesn't want you driving through the field, he surely is not going to like you dragging sleds or tarps full of decoys through his fields.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:12 pm

BBK wrote:Long pieces of conduit. Run the conduit through the legs of the fullbodies and have two guys carry one in each hand. Should be able to carry 24 full bodies per trip with two guys. For shells, I put them in decoy bags. Can put 3 dozen in a large avery padded bag.

So if each guy grabs a bag and you both take the poles you should be able to carry 2 doz full bodies and 6 doz shells each trip.

If the farmer doesn't want you driving through the field, he surely is not going to like you dragging sleds or tarps full of decoys through his fields.

is not the fact of digging up seed their worried about its super muddy in all the fields even if I could drive I probably wouldent all the way up to super freeze point is when it finaly hardens up and with the sled I meant in the snow

But I love the idea of the conduit stick great Idea!
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Silos are the decoys for walk in hunts. Each guy can put a silo bag inside their blind.

I can land them with these and a buddy and me might be making more of them.
http://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/326/
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:28 pm

I ussually just walk out. I can carry 2 doz lessers, stakes, and gun. Then I go back to get layout blind while my buddy sets the decoys up. How big of fields are u hunting?
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Big dry land fields walks are any were from 600 yards to half a mile...

Silos issue.... last year I ran 5 dozen full bodies and 17 silos and gese were flaring baddddddddd took the silos down and killed them they were outlaw silos might be the wrong brand IDK but they have not been in the field scence
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Cabelas super mag two wheel carts! Period!! :lol:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:33 pm

O.D.Lid wrote:Cabelas super mag two wheel carts! Period!! :lol:

aren't those about the size of game carts??? I could only get about 6 bigfoots in one if im lucky...

I have 1 dozen GHG"s
1 dozen Bigfoots
2.5 dozen FA
and 3 dozen hardcores if that helps any

Colton
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:28 am

4-Wheeler?
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Justin Weber wrote:4-Wheeler?

Hay field yes I can use my 4 wheeler as long as its frozen

Idaho fields no vehicles at all

How would you go about haulin all the deeks out on a 4 wheeler???
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:46 pm

A four wheel trailer.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:48 am

Silhouettes. I can carry 6 dozen in one trip in two satchells, blind bag and gun with ease. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:31 pm

I can and do carry 9 big foots, 12 shells,6 silos,layout blind,GHG dog blind, blind bag,mojo duck and shotgun on my cabela's super mag hauler! It's a load but do-able. :thumbsup:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 am

Bag the decoys and use a game cart. Strap them on.
cn44
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:04 am

All good ideas,as mentioned but for your solo hunts, silos are your best bet. 6 -8 doz will kill just as good as all those full bodies ,WITH ALOT LESS FUSS! Good luck with you season!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum