Goose Magnum Shell Spread

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Goose Magnum Shell Spread

Postby WNYHunter » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:20 pm

Hi guys-
:help: I had the opportunity to pick up a couple dozen Carry-Lite Magnum(32") Shells on the cheap so that brings my total to 3 dozen Magnum Shells and that is currently all I have.

Question #1
In your opinion, would a 3 dozen magnum spread look strange to a goose because there is nothing smaller out there with them or would this be enough to draw attention to my field and the geese could care less how big the decoy's are???

Question #2
If I were to add to this spread, would you recommend silo's, full bodies or smaller shells?

Thanks much for your help! :thumbsup:
WNYHunter
WNYHunter
hunter

Postby slakline » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:56 pm

Super Mag shells work !!

Super Mag shells on Motion Stakes R Killer !!

When it's visibility you're after, these shells work.

When everybody's runnin' massive FB spreads in heavy pressured areas, I turn to a dozen or two of these big boys to be a little different.

Great for helping you conceal your laydown blind.

Great for taller stubble.

A lot easier to set up and tear down quickly.

As far as geese comprehending size....I don't think they are able to recognize the larger size until it's too late.

I choose to run all super mags with only super mags. I 've tried mixing with FB's and standard shells and didn't have as good as luck as just running the super mags alone. I don't know it know if they are able to recognize the size differences when mixing, but I prefer to keep things kind of consistent. That's just my experience with them, others may have had good luck w/ mixing or setting them up seperately with the rest of their dekes.

However, the paint better be good and not shiny in my opinion.

Good Luck !! :thumbsup:
slakline
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:37 pm

we used to just set them out and we wouldnt ever get any big groups anything over 10 would be unheard of in our field but now we set them out with motion stakes and there just as good as a full body. thats what i would recemend to add to your spread and try putting a dozen and a half or two dozen on motion stakes. imo :thumbsup: good luck with whatever you decide
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum