starter setup

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

starter setup

Postby brohymn2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm

hey guys

looking to start hunting honkers next fall, just waiting on a payout from veterans affairs and then im gonna get geared up for field shoots.

in terms of decoys im gonna go with sillouettesfrom big al, how many should i start with? im thinking bout getting 3-5 dozen

whats a good layout blind to get?

i already have a call and plan on practising throughout the winter

am i missing anything. ill be hunting out of edmonton ab.

thanks
brohymn2
Newb

Re: starter setup

Postby Take em boys » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:07 pm

A place to hunt, I really like FA blinds but here very good things about rogers goose buster and it depends on your area you hunt about how many decoys you will need my area I run 5.5 doz full bodies 1 dozen shells 2.5 dozen sleepers and 17 silos I don't always put that many out and sometimes I put more than that out just depends

Colton
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Hunting where you do, 5-8 dozen Big Al's Silos will be just about right. You'll be getting birds on the start of their migration and they should be that much easier to hunt than by the time they make it to the midwestern U.S. A nice low profile blind like the Tangle free Originator, the Rogers Goosebuster LP/LP XL or one of the FA blinds should work well too. Good luck and thank you for your service! :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:30 pm

Only thing not mentioned is a flag....Sounds like you've been given good advice so no need to repeat :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum