bluebird day goose troubles

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

bluebird day goose troubles

Postby harvey1b » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:55 pm

does anyone have any suggestions for getting geese to finish on crystal clear days?

I have been having the hardest time with this. I went out this morning to a place I scouted yesterday and saw it holding tons of geese. This morning was clear as could be. The birds came within several hundred yards and veered. I had 17 GHG fullbodies, I was in my Avery Power Hunter, and my dog was in a dog blind (I broke down and bought one b/c I thought it would help).
I kept getting out of the blind and looking for what was wrong but couldn't find anything so I kept changing it around. It wasn't a complete waste of a day, I got one, but with the number of geese I saw I think I should have done better. Any help or suggestions would be great. :thumbsup:

Thanks
harvey1b
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:09 pm

hhmm man thats tough, i guess i would say maybe flagging or movement in the spread, maybe wear a facemask. I think weve all had trouble with blue bird days.
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby plainsman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:06 pm

Were you calling???? What calls were you using???? I bet you "blew them away". I could be wrong.....fill me in
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Hopmeister » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:39 pm

We have our best results on Blue Bird Days.. I'd say Wind, Decoy Spread Pattern , Calling along with Flagging is the key.. We love our blue bird days around here.
Hold On Boys We Are About To Experince Some Major Whackage!,,,
Hopmeister
hunter

Postby sparky » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:08 pm

Could be a few different things as we sometimes have our best days on blue bird days...

Check to see if there is anything shiny on the decoys or your blind. Maybe even your gun, calls and so on..... maybe cover your blind a bit more as something could be sticking out and not looking natural.

Watch the birds... if they are coming don't call as they will hone in on you fast. Call them on the corners when they are past you or turning away.

Maybe you had your decoys to close together?? Nothing will flar geese quicker than decoys to close together. This show the others that they are getting ready to take off or are scared of something telling other geese there is something wrong. don't come in here!

Later in the season or early in your season the geese have been called at and seen almost everyting before they hit you so try different stuff. Keep your calling to minimum.......

Best of luck and keep us informed!!

sparky
sparky
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:36 am

Was the wind not blowing and the decoys resting still? I have had that same problem. The wind is not blowing and the tin soldiers look like just that.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:42 am

Thanks for all the replies. :thumbsup: In talking to a few people I'm starting to think it was the spread.

The wind was gusting, changing from dead to maybe 10 mph, blowing from behind me. I had the dekes set in a "J", all facing into the wind. My dekes were about 10' feet apart. 6 of the dekes were on motion bases and I flagged until the geese were 100-200 yards away.

I was using the RNT Dirty Bird, a call I have had great luck with. I was trying to do minimal calling, maybe a few honks while they were coming in. Everytime the geese turned or flaired I was not calling. Once they were past me I gave come back calls and flagged, turning severl groups to have them flair off again.

Also, the dog blind was new and I hadn't mudded it yet, but I had completely coeverd it and my layout blind with grass and then corn stubble on top of the grass.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:56 pm

harvey1b wrote:I was trying to do minimal calling, maybe a few honks while they were coming in.

do u mean clucks. i think the reason why they werent finishing is one of ur blnd does not match the surrounding. otherwise, u could try to work on ur laydown. if u say geese have been using the field, ur setup should not matter as long as there is hole. what type of GHG fullbodies do u have, if u have the FFD, i dont really know what to say but ur pretty much out of luck.
pisssssssssh:JUST SKYBUST THEM :laughing: :laughing:

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:57 pm

I would personally hunt sunshine than cloudy. Sometimes you have to be careful though because when it's clear is when you have to worry about frost building up on the decoys and then melting, resulting in shining decoys.

Other than that I don't know. Unless you were hunting around Kalamazoo, MI. :yes: Those are the smartest geese I've found anywhere in the country and they make a habit of doing exactly what you described. :pissed:

Good luck, hope things improve.
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:20 pm

Just a passing thought; you mentioned the Avery power hunter blind which has no provision for gun concealment..are you grabbing your gun and fighting the canapy at the same time getting ready?.. is the gun barrel sticking up like a sore thumb...maybe get a camo gun bag for the gun and pull it out when you have the dome up..most bluebird days the geese come in higher
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby thaner » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:03 pm

Randy Loker wrote:
Other than that I don't know. Unless you were hunting around Kalamazoo, MI. :yes: Those are the smartest geese I've found anywhere in the country and they make a habit of doing exactly what you described. :pissed:

Good luck, hope things improve.

So that's my problem! :laughing: :laughing:

I would say from everything you have said that you have something shinny sticking out or maybe you need to do some laydown calling to give them confidence to come in. Sometimes if you stop calling and your quiet they get a little jumpy.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum