FINISHING REFUGE GEESE

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

FINISHING REFUGE GEESE

Postby windyridge » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:56 pm

I am in a pit off of a federal refuge in Tennessee, we have approx 130 FB, 350 hulls, and approx 100 floating goose decoys. We have had around 18 flocks of geese lock up and come in but they just will not finish, we have tried every setup know but still no luck. We currently have 50 wind socks on order to maybe get some movement in the spread.

If anybody out there hunts canadian geese off of refuges and has any tricks or tactics all help would be appreciated.
windyridge
Newb

Postby NickCies80 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:21 pm

Just wondering if you tried using less decoys. They might committ and even if they don't come all the way in you may still get some shooting. Also if there is alot of pressure try less calling.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:51 pm

ive been having better success with less decoys. alot less
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Erik Olsen » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:00 pm

make sure you keep clucking, growling and moaning as they come in. through seminars i have learned its a common thought that geese are like ducks if they are comming in shut up. this i wrong. when geese get nervous all sounds stop and heads go up. so when you stop calling they hear quiet and see no movement with educated birds this can lead to a real quick oh crap by the geese. use your flag all the way to the ground if they like it. keep your most realistic decoys up front and hide. many people think because they have mossyoak, advantage or whatever on there layout blind they are ok. step back and hide your blind, pit or whatever. if you can walk 20 yards away and pick it out like a sore thumb FIX it. now we will talk strategy. get motion mixed in useing avery motion bases, sillosocks, wing wavers and flags (make it come to life). next is my last resort strategy. grab six fullbodies 1 sentry 1 or 2 active and the rest feeders and your layout and move 75yrds in front of your decoys. when i do this i use a goose spot motion base with a decoy on it and fishing line linking to four others so 5 decoys are in constant motion. the bull sentry should be standing solid not moving. then put your layout blind 10 or 15 yards up wind of the 6 pack and you will have layup shots. because this is a live family group that got smart and landed wide. all the birds in the area know this is safe. also think in terms of what everyone else is doing. if every group around you has 100-200 decoys out dont be afraid to put out 2 dozen fullbodies. last but not least brush up on your calling (literally speak to your family in clucks) and study your hunting videos dont just watch the kills. many of the older grounds and foiles videos are from their clubs outside of a refuge.
if you have any questions just ask
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:34 am

try moving your decoys farther down wind from you so you can shoot before they flare and get some pass shots
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum