decoys

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

decoys

Postby mike. » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:13 pm

im not looking to spend alot of money of decoys, dont want to spend 99$ for 4 bigfoot decoys. but i want to buy some decoys that are cheaper. i was thinking of buying these http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates ... id=0016286
and then some silo decoys. and maybe some of these also http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates ... &noImage=0
do you think a mixture of these with some silos would be good?
mike.
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:18 pm

they might work they might not.... try them and if they flare birds or they wont finish you know youll have to try and get some full bodies or more dekes good luck :thumbsup:
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Not to bash Herters because they have an excellent history, but I'm not a fan of their goose decoys. They are no where near as realistic as others. I think the GHG shells are the most realistic out there and go for $150 a doz, but Final Approach comes in a strong second and are about 4 bucks cheaper than the Herters
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=64829&hvarDept=400&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=6&hvarSubCode=12&hvarTarget=browse
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby mike. » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:22 pm

ok i might get those final approach shells, what silos should i get and should i getthe sport plast?
mike.
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:34 pm

You are good to go with any of the photo-realistic silos. They are all comparable in quality and price.

I would shy away from the collapseable shells. I've never owned the ones in question, but I have owned "cheap" decoys before. They are great at first, but you start to lose interenst fast and get frustrated with them. Difficulty in setup, small size, paint durability, overall appearance all start becoming aparent after the luxury of buying new decoys cheap wears off. I baught a few dozen collapseable decoys (not the same brand) a few years ago and I don't even take them out anymore as I have had more problems with them than I care to get into.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby thaner » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Last year I sold off my sport plas full bodies and my outlaw silo's and went to Real Geese and GHG flocked head shells. I am very pleased with the results.

I also have some G&H shells and they are good. I didn't like the way the heads go on the FA shells. Put some of the GHG shells on motion stakes any you can do without full bodies until you have a lot of cash and a trailer or other way to hall full bodies.

For silo's I love the real geese. You can get some great deals on the 3D's used on e-bay. The pro and pro 2 are nice, but more money.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:15 pm

never had the cabelas shell but i have tried the sportsplast deks. i hate those things, espcially when its cold and the deks look like someone beat the nonsense in them. its really hard to inflate them when its cold. If i were u i think about mag shells not standard size. for 150, u could get a doz carrylite mags. but if u want to be realistic go make urself ur own silos like u posted before.

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby mike. » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:32 pm

you have to inflate the sport palst decoys? that sucks lol.. i would make my own silos. but i have no clue how to or where to start
mike.
hunter

Postby mike. » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:47 pm

so should i get ghg's or whatever they're called? where should i buy them from and which models? i think gander mountain has all their decoys (except bigfoots) 30% off but i dont know if they have ghgs
mike.
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum