decoys

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

decoys

Postby huntmallrds » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:05 pm

about how many decoys do you guys use, do you use different amounts in the late than the early.
right now me and my partner have 80 but we thinking of getting about 6 dozen more?
huntmallrds
hunter

Postby mike. » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:46 pm

80and 6 dozen more?!? iont evne have one single decoy lol wanna donate me some lol jk
mike.
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:13 pm

We only have 2 doz. silo, 2 doz. GHG flocked head mag shells, 1 doz. G&H shells, four floaters and 2 doz. carry lite mag shells. Most of the time this year we used the silo's and a doz. or two of the flocked head shells on motion stakes. We also shot limits twice with only the 2 doz. Silo’s believe it or not. There are usually only two of us and I am the only caller so I don’t think we can sound like or flag enough to look like more than three or four dozen birds. I would like two more doz. Silo’s and I think we will be set. I think you need more silo’s if you have them at different angles so you have a good number of birds visible from all angles. I plan to hunt mostly silo’s in the future unless we need a big spread for later in the season. We mostly use the GHG’s with the sleeper and rester heads for late season or early season when we are set up on ponds mid day. We move around and never hunt the same place more than once in a while so a small spread is manageable and so far it works. I don’t see where we need more than 4 doz. Most of the time for how and where we hunt.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby NickCies80 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:15 pm

We have about 7 doz. fullbodies and 4 dozen shells. We accumulated more FB's as the season went on. During the early season we used about 4 dozen FB's and that was it; as the season went on we put out more depending on who was hunting and brought their dekes. Late in the season we used all the shells with sleeper and rester heads and most of the active and looker style of FB's. We put the FB's on the ground and used very few feeders. We just put out more because we were seeing bigger flocks. If you are running traffic then it might help but I would not say you have to use more.

Nick
NEED SLEEP!
NickCies80
State Moderator

Postby Boomn4x4 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:20 am

:withstupid:

Early in the season when there is still plenty of food on the ground the birds seem to prefer to be in smaller groups as there is less competition for food.

But when the season gets later and the food is hard to find a field full of geese is a sure sign of a good food source. Late in the year if there is another hunter in the area with a bigger spread than you, or if there is a feeding field where a flock of live geese are a small spread will simply get over looked. Bigger the better later in the season. An acquaintance of mine has 20 doz bigfeet and another 20 dozen silos he throws out this time of year.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby JRockandCash6 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:10 pm

My cousin is a goose killin machine and he brings in birds you couldnt believe. We hunt over 100 fully stuffed geese that he did himself from birds he killed last year. Hunting with him is like going from pee wee football to tackling birds like Brian Urlacher. We only use 20-40 early then all hes got later in the season. He went out 3 weeks ago with Bill Saunders and they murdered them.
JRockandCash6
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum