Goose Huntin'

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Goose Huntin'

Postby MossyGO! » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:38 pm

Lame post guys but I haven't been duck/goose hunting for almost 2 months because I don't have a boat, my buddy does so I can only go when he goes, and he's basically, well...whipped. Well, I met a guy last year and he said we can hunt his land for geese, they tear up his winter wheat. We went once last year and only got one goose, didn't see more than 20 fly around so I wasn't too ashamed. But there are two lakes on either side of the mountains that hold them pretty good and the land owner swears they are out there like crazy this year. So my question is, should I go out there myself? The problem is, I only have about a dozen floaters, no shells or silos. Last year we had 3 dozen put together but once again only floaters but managed 1 goose and 3 others in range but misses, the rest were milehighers. Also, there is a small creek that runs through the property that produced a few high flyer ducks as well. I just don't know if it's a waste of my time with a little amount of dekes because it's a drive. Oh yeah, I suck at calling too, well I can make some geese sounds with a flute. Suggestions?
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:40 pm

I forgot, today was my birthday so I got $80 in gift cards for sportsman's, not sure that would buy but a couple dekes there, plus was hoping to put it towards my O/U.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:41 am

It's always worth your time. You may get frustrated but you will learn more each time. Buy more decoys here and there and get a boat later on if your buddy is too busy to go out and your on your own. I was in the same situation as you. My buddy started me and would just call me the night before and say "I'm tired and do not want to go tomorrow." It kind of screwed me because I was dependant on him for decoys and the place. I got a boat and blind now, learned the river through scouting and killed more geese last month than is almost did last year. I feel like I could quit hunting now and still have had a good year.

on calling just cluck a little. I am bad and that is all I do. I still have to learn so i keep the call quite mostly and just cluck some.

But the point is you just have to try. I also can understand where you might be as I hate hunting alone. I feel waterfowl hunting is half about the compamionship and half about the experience.

Now I have made more firends and I need a bigger boat. :laughing: It will come in time, just keep at it and don't give up. You'll make friends from here probably, I have. :thumbsup:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Boomn4x4 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:08 am

I was in the same boat.....

You can TRY to use the floaters, but make sure they are upright. Would it be safe to assume they are all sentry? All the floaters I know of are. Having an all sentry spread is not a great thing to have in a field (not to say that it WON'T work). A sentry goose indicated caution and if all of them were "at attention" it would likely cause already leary birds to shy away. If you do use them, make sure you rig something that keeps them upright.

You can find a dozen quality shells for around $100 - 120, I'd suggest the FA shells, the over all appearance isn't as good as the GHG ($150), but they are a bit cheaper. IF you look around enough you can probably find shells even cheaper. I recently baught 2 dozen Carry-Lite Super Magnum Shells (42") which retail at Cabelas for $144.99 per six for $39.99 per six. I'd have baught all six dozen they had hadn't I feard the imminet whopping I was sure to receive from my wife.

Ad for the calling... I would honestly leave it at home and make yourself a flag. Geese response well to calling, but you have to be pretty good with a call to be effective. A missed not will surely flare birds. A flag however is just as effective, if not more, and almost impossible to screw up. Even a hand waved black garbage bag will work to get a goose's attention.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby duckbuddy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:57 pm

first of all, happy birthday
Second of all, ur pretty much in hole that will determine if ur successful or not. i hate hunting alone cause with all the stuff i bring i need at least two people. the type of floaters u have should determine ur success rate. if they are the new GHG, BF or FA, many allow u to turn the head unlike before. if i were u i try it anyways, it never hurts to try, it always hurts when the farmers says they were here. a doz should pull flocks of at least 6 or less. IMO, the bigger the flock the waryness goes up and the more deks u need.

DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Thanks...another year older...yay... Well I'm not exactly too sure what you call head positions but I have 6 G&H floaters, 4 are feeders, one is a high sentry?(head straight up and down, long neck looking straight ahead) and the other is sentry(same thing but not as long neck). My girlfriend repainted them for me this season and they look great(haven't used them yet though) It's nice having an artist in the family! The other 7 or 8 dekes are those old non weighted keel that you can fill with water/sand that are sitting in the attic. You can turn the heads on all of them. We used the non weighted last year, they sat upright pretty well. That is one of the biggest reasons I'm contimplating this is because I don't like to bird hunt by myself. It's just a much better time with company. But I do like to deer/turkey hunt by myself cause I like doing my own thing. Anyways, thanks for the replies, I might pick up a flag today cause we've always wished we had one a time or two so it wouldn't hurt, plus I can't screw that up!
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:45 pm

well nevermind, the farmer called me today and they got 8 inches of snow in the past two days, the fields had clear spots a few days ago, no more. Anyway, they were out of flags at sportsmans so I picked up a new goose call for the heck of it, I guess I'm better than I thought. It's the buck gardner hammer 2, very easy to blow, it's hard not to sound like a goose. Well, maybe next year I'll have a boat and this won't be a problem. Thanks everybody.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum