Goose Field Hunting Problem

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Goose Field Hunting Problem

Postby TheConservationOfficer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Recently, I aquired permission to hunt a large bean field and a very small corn field with trees around it. The geese have been landing in the cornfields next to my bean field. Last weekend, the geese decoyed into my spread on the bean field, but none of the corn was harvested. Do I have a chance at getting any birds from my bean field if they are in a corn field right next to it? What should I do?
I am not actually a conservation officer...
TheConservationOfficer
hunter

Re: Goose Field Hunting Problem

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:24 am

Large spread and flagging.. Bury blinds if possible works for me
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby zachk908 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Put out every decoy you can come up with and like said above dig the blinds in and make sure you're HIDDEN
zachk908
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Really all that matters is what direction they are coming from. If they fly over the corn field first lower chance but if they fly over your field first theirs a higher chance. I would set up on the edge of the field. When traffic huntin geese I like to be as concealed as much as possible. However you can get away with more as well because they arnt in the field seeing what bumps are there and not there every day. In cut beans theirs just a limit as to how well you can be hid.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 am

Justin Weber wrote:Really all that matters is what direction they are coming from. If they fly over the corn field first lower chance but if they fly over your field first theirs a higher chance. I would set up on the edge of the field. When traffic huntin geese I like to be as concealed as much as possible. However you can get away with more as well because they arnt in the field seeing what bumps are there and not there every day. In cut beans theirs just a limit as to how well you can be hid.

Hence why I said to bury blinds. You dont even see the blinds if you do it correctly it is just like a pit blind. Dig the hole down to the depth that the blind will fit and the doors will be flush with the ground then go far away from your spread and rake up stubble and where there is dirt sprinkle it around and if you do it right you should only have to stubble the doors.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:59 am

try and set up in the area where the two different fields meet. there should be a spot where you can find some decent cover. You can also set decoys in each field.. the corn and bean and soon enough you'll find out where the birds want to be. then you can adjust your blind to shoot in that direction. If the birds are landing in an adjacent field close to you, then you more then likely will have to go and jump them up. facts are facts that decoys can compete with live birds.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum