geese and mojos

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

geese and mojos

Postby Gcdhunter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:30 am

We've been using a mojo mallard on our combo goose and duck hunts. Seems to me when we have the mojo out and on the geese don't want anything to do with the spread. Anybody else notice this
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter

Re: geese and mojos

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:34 am

This has held for a long time...get a remote, as soon as you hear a honk turn it off. And try to position the mojo to the side, not in the whole you want geese to finish in.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby AFISHN » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I stoped usingmy mojo lst year because it seemed to hurt a lot more then helped IMO
Tom

"when I'm not a huntin',I'm AFISHN"
AFISHN
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Geese hate mojos and don't like to land in/with ducks in general. If you are hunting ducks AND THEN geese, turn the things off or pull em when you see honkers. If you're hunting geese first and then ducks, leave them out all together as ducks will dive bomb a goose spread.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:00 pm

We been using MoJo's for many years. Yes Geese do not like them, a remote is a must. Sometimes you got to take them off the polls and hide them but it's worth it. I think everybody should stop using them... :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:19 pm

I also don't use my mojo anymore. No clear evidence that it works better with ducks than without, and it has scared geese away too many times! Flagging is the best option, do it until they are locked on, then put it down and get ready.
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:25 pm

I think everybody should stop using Mojo's. That way mine will work better.... :lol3: ...You have got to be kidding me they don't work anymore .... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: here is a pic when we ran them... 40 ducks and we would have not have got them without them..... :fingerpt:
Attachments
9-21 Canada 2013 003.JPG
War Wagon
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:35 pm

Mojos, just like the other 1000 gadgets in waterfowling have their place. Early season I wouldn't be caught without one, you'll loose birds to the guys with mojos every time around here. The birds will fly right over your spread, not even looking at you, and suck right into a guy with a mojo. But late season we are better off without them, by the time the birds reach us they have seen literally hundreds of mojos. They still work well on 1's, 2's and 3's, but flocks just won't finish with them.

Geese? They hate them, won't come near them unless they are just flying past and happen to fly over a guy with a mojo.

Late season combo hunts IMO you are better off without them. In sept I wouldn't be caught without one.
BBK
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Another thing if you do hunt with them make sure to stop the wings on the green side, and not the white side.
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:14 pm

yes you killed 40 ducks in a field with mojos. Key word is field!, when hunting ducks in the corn I don't even set out duck decoys just the geese. and five mojos next to the blinds so we can turn them off and keep the wings down when working geese. Ive watched the effectiveness of spinner over water go down hill over the years. I use them at first light ,but if birds stop working their gone! the only other time I will set them out on water is on migration days with new birds pushing. other then that there in the boat but most of the time they stay there.
olt d2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:07 pm

olt d2 wrote:yes you killed 40 ducks in a field with mojos. Key word is field!

Actually, the key word in War Wagon's case is "Canada". They don't come out of the egg knowing how to read "Hunters Here" signs.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:10 pm

:lol: :biggrin: :yes:
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:03 am

I take back my words. I have hunted a cornfield this season for geese, and have had an unusual amount of ducks circling me. Nothing would come within shooting range. A friend of mine and I went out yesterday, he brought his 2 mojos and I only brought 6 mallard decoys, along with my normal goose spread. I was very doubting this was going to work. Didn't even finish setting up, and worked a flock of geese right over the mojos! We decoyed every bird we saw yesterday, goose or duck, and we crushed them! Mojo's have there place and that is in a feild.
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby Drakeslammer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:58 am

I run 2 Mojos on remote and 4 without remote and they prove them selves every time geese hate them ducks love em I set up my 4 without remotes next to my blind so I can shut them off and put the 2 on remotes in the kill hole works for me
Drakeslammer
Newb

Postby CBRS » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:53 pm

One thing to remember is what worked today....may not, probably won't work tomorrow.
CBRS
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowl71 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:42 pm

BrowningBlaster wrote:I take back my words. I have hunted a cornfield this season for geese, and have had an unusual amount of ducks circling me. Nothing would come within shooting range. A friend of mine and I went out yesterday, he brought his 2 mojos and I only brought 6 mallard decoys, along with my normal goose spread. I was very doubting this was going to work. Didn't even finish setting up, and worked a flock of geese right over the mojos! We decoyed every bird we saw yesterday, goose or duck, and we crushed them! Mojo's have there place and that is in a feild.

I agree. Our Mojos keep the geese away on the lake, but in the field it's a different story
ILwaterfowl71
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum