Goose hunting loads

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Goose hunting loads

Postby DuckWarrior » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:46 pm

I have an older Mossberg 12 gauge 3". The geese are stay about 65 yards out, I can get them with the Heavy Duty, High Velocity Winchester rounds I have (BB). But I would like to go with something maybe a little heavier and faster, so I can really reach out and slam them. I have an Ext. full choke on it. Do you guys know of any rounds that maybe I could special order, that are a heavier steel, (I can't use lead here in Montana), and go a little faster?

DuckWarrior
DuckWarrior
hunter

Postby mud duck » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:54 am

You might want to try remington heavy shot. I think you can get a 3" size 2. The velocity is somewhere around 1450 fps. I know people who hunt this and say that it folds them in one shot. I'd be careful shooting steel bb's out of your xtra full choke, however, I think heavy shot will be ok.
mud duck
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:39 am

I think you should take a step back and look at your decoy spread and your blind. You should be able to get them in much closer than 65 yds. I don't think I have ever taken a shot more than 35 yards.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:21 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby gilmore1011 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:36 pm

Check your camo or decoys. If they are not coming closer than 65 yds you have something going on they don't like. Plus even with hevi shot 65 yds is too far to be busting at them. Work on getting them in close and you can kill them dead with a 20 ga.
gilmore1011
hunter

Postby DuckWarrior » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:52 am

Oh, when I use decoys I can get them in real close, there is no problem there. It is when it is getting closer to evening and I am waiting for them to fly down to the river to roost. I wait for them in this little clearing that is about 70 yards from the river (I dont want to hunt right at the river because there is a bunch of cows across the river where the geese roost so, I dont want to be peppering someone elses cattle). The fly in at about 65 yards up, which isnt a problem, it just takes me usually two or three shots before I drop one, instead of just one shot at like 45 yards. I was just wondering if you guys knew of a really fast and heavy steel load that I could use that would cripple them at one maybe two shots.

DuckWarrior
DuckWarrior
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:13 pm

The answer is easy. Don't shoot! Your not hunting at that point, you are skybusting. You are doing more harm than good. At that range, you are going to cripple alot of birds. They may make it back to the roost and die before morning. Thats one more bird that is not going to come into your decoys in the morning, or anyone elses for that matter. I know you are just trying to find a way to get more geese, but a 65 yard shot is not the answer.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:39 pm

Warrior....not saying this with malice - but you are skybusting IMO. Time to re-assess your situation and adjust accordingly. Duk is correct, you are killing birds w/out knowing it. Glad you're not around my area - you would have alot of guys looking to talk to you! - or worse, you could find your truck has a few flats. Seriously, try to put together a better plan offering you fair range shooting.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:58 pm

Duckwarrior- This is simple, if you cannot get a safe shot then do not hunt there. You are killing geese at this range, you just don't see them die. If you cannot get them within 35-40 yards with decoys, then you should not be hunting there. You are going to make a lot of guys upset hunting this way, if I saw you doing this I would definately let you know how I feel. If I owned land you were hunting doing this, I would give you the GIANT boot.....

Nothing personal, this is just bad ethical hunting. This is what gives goose hunters a bad name.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:09 pm

65 yards is to far. 50 yards or less for me. 3 1/2 bbb steel kills them stone dead at 50. people say that hevishot is unreal. you can cripple birds at any range. your just less likely to do it at shorter distances.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rookie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:13 am

Would a lay down blind beside the river help to put you in closer range ? If you get them close enough there are no worries about the neighbors cattle. I am a new hunter and this is just my thoughts.
Rookie
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:03 am

try heavy shot.r
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby Drew Willemsen » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:11 pm

Kent faststeel 3" number 2/BB are the loads that we shoot, unless you have a gun chambered to 3 1/2 inch :smile:
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Hey Whats up

Postby MallardKiller » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:42 pm

Hey i shoot 3 1/2 BB out of my 870 super magnum and it will kill them at 50 yards but i have a hunting place that sounds kinda like yours its a river and later in the evening is when they come to roost and there is cattle on the other side of the river about 70 yards away so what i did is i grabbed my laydown blind stuck 5 or 6 goose decoys out and the geese just fed into my blind like crazy but i wouldnt be taking shots at 65 yards like everyone else said cause you could be crippling them or even killing them and not know it so take a laydown blind out if you dont have one hide in like trees if there near the river hey also can you hunt on the other side where the cows are or is that private property
Daniel
Call'em, Whack'em And Stack'em
MallardKiller
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum