goose hunting help

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

goose hunting help

Postby thomashamm2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:35 pm

hey yall i just found out that the village i live in is legal to hunt in. In two years when i get a care i was considering hunting this one field for geese. Early in the season they pile in there every day. The only problem is that i only have a little money to spend. 1st problem - the field is not corn (not sure what it is) but it is very low to the ground. Within 2 or 3 inches. Its not winter wheat tho. I have two ideas for homemade decoys which should work decent. The 2nd problem - i dont have a layout blind. Is there any ideas to what i can do to hide in the middle of this field? any suggestions to goose hunting this field would be appreciated.
thomashamm2
hunter

Re: goose hunting help

Postby tsamp » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Dig a shallow pit to lay in and lay a peace of burlap or dirty brown sheet over you and paint it camo to the color of the field. Make sure the sheet is correct to the grounds tone as well. Works good and is lower profile than a layout. Layout is just for ease and comfort. Don't be surprised if you fail thow. Homemade decoys and lil experience can end in an empty gun and no geese! CCD. Calling, Concealing, Decoying. Thats the base you wanna start with. Good luck.
tsamp
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:04 pm

tsamp wrote:Dig a shallow pit to lay in and lay a peace of burlap or dirty brown sheet over you and paint it camo to the color of the field. Make sure the sheet is correct to the grounds tone as well. Works good and is lower profile than a layout. Layout is just for ease and comfort. Don't be surprised if you fail thow. Homemade decoys and lil experience can end in an empty gun and no geese! CCD. Calling, Concealing, Decoying. Thats the base you wanna start with. Good luck.

well for being 14 i got a good amount of experience. i know concealment and can call. I just dont have money for decoys or blinds. plus the field is about 30 seconds from my house so i can go there often.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:03 pm

keep an eye on the field daily since you are so close to it. don't use poor decoys - i would either:

A) find where the birds are hitting the field and beat them to that spot early the next morning with NO decoys or calling and dig your pit w/ mudded up burlap over top (do not dig a pit if it is in crop, that means $$$ lost by the farmer). literally set up where you see fresh goose poop.

B) get to know someone who has a better setup than you and invite them out on your hot field - provided they bring good decoys and an extra layout blind for you.

good luck, sounds like you've got a good spot! :smile:
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 am

You could possibly have some luck with homemade silos. 1st year my son and I went, I made 2 doz. silos and had 6 shells. Wasn't much, but we did harvest geese. We laid under burlap with field stubble zip tied to it. We hunted under a flight path the geese used from roost to feed. Good luck to ya. :thumbsup:
Boocephus
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum