Using Goose Shells as Floaters

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Using Goose Shells as Floaters

Postby cride1 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:55 pm

Some of you may have already tried this, but I seen this method used for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Go to a hardware store and buy some of the silicone rubber water pipe insulation(looks like an extruded tube). Put that on the bottom edge of the shell and drill small holes approx. 3 - 4" apart all the way around and strap the pipe insulator with those plastic wire ties. Tie your weight to the bottom of the neck and now you have a floating shell goose decoy. Now you can use you shell in the field and on the water.

I will worn you, you cannot stack them as well as they will start to bend out of shape.

Hope this helps and saves somebody some money.
cride1
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:09 pm

I want to do the thing where they use the celotex building insulation and glue a wooden keel to it. I have flambue shells and they have a hole in the tail and two side nubs or I may drill two holes in the side. I was considering using the temporary nails and cutting the top heaf off. The second will keep it from going into the celotex and the nail will go though the shell and lock it in and be removeable for field use.

There was a toturial some where on the net.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum