Overload...

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Overload...

Postby bigblue0827 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 am

Ok here is the problem. A buddy and I have spent 6k+ on decoys, blinds, trailer etc and over 10 years finding good spots to hunt. For years a typical hunt would just be the two of us.. but now it is getting out of hand. Friends and family members buy a layout blind and now we are having to play diplomats for who goes and stays behind. We usually do a big hunt on Thanksgiving but this year we have 9 people on the list! My biggest concern is safety of myself and dog.. but I also think it's tough to hide 9 blinds and guys from wary old hens with 8 dozen dekes. Anyone face this? How did you handle it?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Last edited by bigblue0827 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigblue0827
hunter

Re: Overload...

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:55 am

I'd tell him whats up. Its not about the quantity of birds you kill but the quality of the hunt and how good of time you have that sounds just like what I have been put through except I own all my gear and have A LOT of money invested so I say who goes and doesn't most of the time unless it isn't my field but I refuse to hunt with that many people anymore because a buddy and I are on the same page and we agree on things. When I say quality of a hunt I mean making a good judgement of hiding people and considering how many birds are in the field and doing our best to get that certain amount of peoples limits. I've been there where I was asked to go on a hunt in a chisel plowed corn field with over 1000 geese and ducks in it and was told it was going to be 5 of us then showed up the next morning with all my gear and 2 more trucks pulled up with blinds in the back. Ended up being 11 guys one of which was a "cameraman" what a joke that was the guys had fresh blinds never been mudded in KW-1 which is next to yellow trying to hide in a black dirt field. The geese flew by all morning and the ducks decoyed but hey guess what duck season wasn't in! Didn't fire a shot, I would tell your buddy how you feel and let the other people know why you feel that way because you don't want to be the blame of people "wasting their time" which we all know it's mother nature and hunting but some people don't get that.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby bigblue0827 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for the input. I am sure it happens quite a bit. I mean hey what a great deal for the guys that tag along. Spend $200 bucks on a blind and rely on my knowledge, decoys, dogs, hunting access to get them on birds. I don't want to send the impression they are trying to mooch because we did invite them initially. Ideally they would have hunted with us a few times and then started doing their own scouting and door knocking, decoy purchasing etc. so we could actually grow our success and opportunity. You are right talking about quality of hunt, it gets stressful sometimes. I'd rather hunt with 2 close friends and kill 9 birds than 11 people and kill a pile!
bigblue0827
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 pm

You have to have a discussion and decide on a limit to the number of hunters in a spread. Unless you have a strong leader who will dictate settup, calls the shots and calls who is taking the shots too many guys is just caos. I think 5 is a good number for your spread.

Another option if the birds are flying excetionally well is to hunt in shifts. Shift one fills their limit, shoots a designated number of birds or a specific time slot then shift 2 gets its crack.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby bigblue0827 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:07 pm

My buddy and I take turns for calling the shot and setup. Always works well. Anyone that comes along is a "brush boy" working on blinds while him and I set decoys. Having 1-2 extra guys to help haul gear is always nice, but more than that I think the returns are diminishing, as it is another blind to hide, another face to flare birds etc.

I thought about the shifts idea but then I also think, we aren't on the Eastern shore where there are millions of birds. We are hunting a lot of local birds that get wise quick, and do I want to shoot at the 5th,6th,7th etc flight when I could be cleaned up and saving those birds for next weekend.
bigblue0827
hunter

Postby QAHONKER » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Spilt em up, run 3 sets of 3 less blinds to hide and its kinda fun sitting back and watching the other guys. Big blue idk when the last time you were on the shore, its been a tough few years. Not many birds around right now, more than the last 2 but still not what it was lol
FOILES MIGRATORS
QAHONKER
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Keep this in mind also. A lot of guys means that often they are shooting at the same birds. For that reason individual success rates often are better with smaller groups.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:45 pm

I won't hunt more than 4. I personally own 4.5 dozen decoys by myself. I hunt always hunt with My brother, but I'm not hunting with anyone else unless they have something to offer (a field, more decoys, a hot sister, etc). Although I will take someone if they have never gone before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Killed 22 with 9 guys the other week.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Id hunt 4 guys max. My buddy and I used to have the same problem. We would use our money for gas scouting money, buy all the dekes, all the things you've mentioned. It got to the point where 10 guys wanted to go, but they never offered to share the expenses. We finally decided to NEVER call anyone to go hunting when we went, they knew our number if they wanted to go they better call. It was the first 2 guys that called that got to go, also we informed them it was 10 bucks a gun a day to hunt, plus a fourth of the gas money. We took the money and donated it to DU. It got to the point the tight wads and free loaders never called. This action solved our issue real quick
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Although I didn't intend to hunt with that many

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum