NEW waterfowl hunter

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

NEW waterfowl hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Hello All,
I live in Pittsburgh, PA and go to school in Erie, if any of you are familiar with Presque Isle, so i have gotten into ducks this year. I have already made a thread for that, but have some questions on Geese. My uncle lives on a farm and often when fields are cut you catch geese in them here and there. Would it be worth hunting an area like this and how many decoys would i need? What type of fields do I want to be in and so on? There's alot of cut corn, soy beans, and the normal hay fields.
Thank you for any future responses
Cranberry1
hunter

Re: NEW waterfowl hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:02 am

I live and hunt in Ohio, west of where you're traveling and talking about. It can be a decent fly-line for birds if the weather helps and if you have a roost lake nearby that doesn't freeze solid, it can be a really good area once the weather turns and stays cold as long as there's feed available.
You'll want to target the corn fields in cold/snowy weather. Find the birds feeding and hunt them the next day, set up with wind at your back or quartering for the best shooting. I've killed limits with a dozen full body dekes where the birds want to be, more is always better, but not always a nessecity.
You need a good hide, layout blinds are best if you have one, along with a snow cover for those days camoed with cornstalk remains. If you don't have a blind and can position into nearby brush closer to the approaching flyline, it may pay off for you, movement is your worst enemy. If you have geese committed to finish/land in the dekes, don't jump up to soon.
It can be a very expensive undertaking to be a goose hunter to be successful. Good luck.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:27 am

GET out while you can ! It's worse than DRUGS !!!.. :yes:.. One you get hooked in this sport it NEVER ENDS .. :fingerpt:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Scout the area and when you find where the geese are plan on setting up there the next day (hunting the X). Try to get as close to the exact spot in the field where you saw them as you can. Your decoy spread will depend on how many birds you are seeing there and if they are coming in in smaller bunches or all at one time. Up to 50 birds you can probably get by with a dozen decoys. Some guys think if there are a lot of birds in a field you have to go with a big spread but Keep in mind there always has to be a first flock that lands in any field. A small number of decoys just emulates that first flock.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:49 pm

War Wagon wrote:GET out while you can ! It's worse than DRUGS !!!.. :yes:.. One you get hooked in this sport it NEVER ENDS .. :fingerpt:

X2

dakotashooter2 wrote:Scout the area and when you find where the geese are plan on setting up there the next day (hunting the X). Try to get as close to the exact spot in the field where you saw them as you can. Your decoy spread will depend on how many birds you are seeing there and if they are coming in in smaller bunches or all at one time. Up to 50 birds you can probably get by with a dozen decoys. Some guys think if there are a lot of birds in a field you have to go with a big spread but Keep in mind there always has to be a first flock that lands in any field. A small number of decoys just emulates that first flock.

23yearsago wrote:I live and hunt in Ohio, west of where you're traveling and talking about. It can be a decent fly-line for birds if the weather helps and if you have a roost lake nearby that doesn't freeze solid, it can be a really good area once the weather turns and stays cold as long as there's feed available.
You'll want to target the corn fields in cold/snowy weather. Find the birds feeding and hunt them the next day, set up with wind at your back or quartering for the best shooting. I've killed limits with a dozen full body dekes where the birds want to be, more is always better, but not always a nessecity.
You need a good hide, layout blinds are best if you have one, along with a snow cover for those days camoed with cornstalk remains. If you don't have a blind and can position into nearby brush closer to the approaching flyline, it may pay off for you, movement is your worst enemy. If you have geese committed to finish/land in the dekes, don't jump up to soon.
It can be a very expensive undertaking to be a goose hunter to be successful. Good luck.

What they said....
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:51 pm

What do you mean by the "X" . I have access to a lot of corn fields (easily 400+ acres of just fields) in a 10 minute radius of where I deer hunt . No large body of water though . I can't say I've ever seen many geese there .. But then again before this year I never paid much attention to the birds. Would it be worth trying at all ? I'm trying to get into duck and goose. Man is this expensive
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 pm

also I don't mean to sound cheap , but what's the cheapest kind of goose decoy ? I've noticed they are quite a bit more expensive than ducks obviously because of size? Anything to stay away from ? I see a lot of goose by my house in the corn fields .. 30 yds off the main road unfortunately
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:55 am

Told ya it was pricey to get into :eek: !!!! Higdon makes some decent stuff at a bit more reasonable cost.....but still expensive.

Really though,, if you're not seeing that many geese in the fields you can hunt safely away from roads,, maybe you should re-think this endeavor and continue deer hunting. Or maybe just settle for pass-shooting at birds you can set up for at their approach.
Finding some other fellows that goose hunt and already have the gear would be a good way for you to get your start. Good luck with that !!! this is a very competative hunting sport and established guys don't take kindly to newbies as a rule. :no: (from what I've seen in my past years anyway)
23yearsago
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 pm

The X (X marks the spot) is literally where the birds are in the field. Geese will generally return to the same spot or where they last stopped feeding in the field every day. Once you get in the field where you thought they were start looking for goose droppings. When you find them that is the X. If you can't get on the x get as close as you can.That way in most cases the birds come to you and you don't have to work as hard to pursuade them.

Shells or sillouettes are the lightest and take up the least room if you have to walk in to the field. Full bodies are nice if you can drive in and you can usually get by with a few less due to the realism. Big Al's are supposed to be a pretty good silouette at a reasonable price.$90-$125 doz. Recommending a full body will get a big argument started. I use bigfoots and bigfoot b2s which are middle of the pack in regards to realism but top of the pack in durability but you're gonna spend $275-$325 a dozen (on sale). Trying to pick up used ones at the end of the season will be the cheapest route.

Ground blinds are nice but ther are other options for less money. Some guys use guilie suits. Some companies are now making what they call blind consolidators. They are basically the same matterial as used in blinds with stubble straps sewn in and fasteners attached to the edges to clip onto the blinds. They could easily be used alone by weaving stubble/grass/cornstocks from the field in the straps and using it as a blanket to cover yourself. I think they run $50-$75 but I picked up a couple from Dunns Spoting Goods (through Ebay) on sale for $15 each. A coupl;e companies match such a blanket with a backrest and sell them for around $100. I found an old tennis net and cut it into 8" lengths and attached fabric strips, jute twine and burlap to it and add stubble when I get to the field, for areas that the blind isn't practical to carry in.

Some guys even make their own decoys from salvaged chloroplast signs and use them with good sucess.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:41 am

Thank you all for the great info !!! Would you guys recommend just taking a good long drive the day before a hunt to find a good field ? I'm guessing that's the best way to go
Cranberry1
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum