Field hunting - morning or evening?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Field hunting - morning or evening?

Postby Copper mushroom » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Early winter here in NW Ohio - most small bodies of water are frozen in. Was curious which you have found more productive - morning or evening hunts in the fields? Looking back through my journals I am close to 50/50 on the better time.
Copper mushroom
hunter

Re: Field hunting - morning or evening?

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Morning, but have some places that only produce in the afternoon.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bigblue0827 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:27 pm

Same, mostly mornings. There are a lot of horse farms where we hunt with roost ponds, so if it is warm a lot of times birds with loaf around the ponds eating grass in the morning and only head to feed in fields in the evenings. In this case evenings and it is more important to be on the X.

There is a corn field I hunt and year after year the morning sees no ducks but right before dark (and right after shooting light :mad: :mad: :mad: ) they pile in!!
bigblue0827
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Where I'm at when things are froze up they are more predictable in the evenings. You may sit out untill noon before the come off in the morning but evenings is usually pretty consistent in an hr before sunset.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum