Can any one explain this??

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Can any one explain this??

Postby Take em boys » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Last Tuesday I went ice fishing to one of my duck spots (7.5) inches of ice :( I had flock after flock after flock of geese trying to land were I was BAD I had to work all this week from dark till dark so did not get out to scout but im gonna set up in the morning were I was no way I can break Ice so im just gonna throw a dozen sleepers and 2 dozen full bodies out in the middle of the lake... question is why do they want to be on the ice so bad??? no open water on that lake big lake a few miles north is still open... Hopefully they fly again... never going fishing with out my shot gun again
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: Can any one explain this??

Postby goosehappy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Who knows what goes on inside those goose minds? But I have seen geese land on ice in spots they habitually like to be when there is normally open water. Maybe it is just a place they are used to, and ice or not, they are going there. Ive seen them sit on ice in places where there is open water right next to like they'd really rather be on the ice. I've seen mallards do the same thing.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:12 pm

well it worked out threw 12 hardcores on the iceand laid in a whie suite over my dog amazing how things like this work so well and other times I go so far into detail in hiding and get skunked :huh:
Attachments
1522230_10202551459244996_1480651374_n.jpg
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Nice day take em! Bet that was fun....... I see a lot of geese on the ice every day down here. They sleep and rest there, not too many predators (coyotes and eagles still get after them) and no boats!
blackrock
hunter

Postby don novicki » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:04 am

Nice job...... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum