Full moons

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Full moons

Postby GIjake » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:28 am

I have noticed that there is usually a change in patterns and behavior in geese on hunts the morning after a clear full moon night. I'm new to goose hunting, but been duck hunting for 15 years. What are some of the changes you all make to help the hunt or do you just grind it out?

Thanks, and if it helps I'm in Colorado and hunting cut corn. The patterns are usually small flights at random and way late in the morning mainly afternoon....
GIjake
hunter

Re: Full moons

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:43 pm

with this full moon, Ive noticed the geese being very active between 10 and 2, so weve been hitting it hard during this time frame
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Re: Full moons

Postby noweil » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:54 pm

We used to hunt a NWR that would hold 200,000-400,000 birds at times. During a full moon the geese would often feed in the fields at night and go back to the lake on the refuge in the morning. Field hunting was pretty poor during a bright full moon. We would water hunt during the full moon and field hunt a new moon.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum