Field spread

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Field spread

Postby T.C. Bolding » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:58 am

For hunting fields, what is every body's favorite goose spread?
T.C. Bolding
hunter

Re: Field spread

Postby Dan J » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Usually late in the season I will use around 18 to 24 decoys and set them as 3 to 4 pods/families about 15-20 yards apart. Leave a hole in the middle for the birds to land in. New to MD where are there enough geese to hunt. We live near BWI airport. Looking to bust some geese myself.
Dan J
Newb

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 am

I make seperate family groups usually. Anywhere from 6-10 blocks in a bunch randomly spread around where we set up, but still set close enough to look like birds have been congregating for a while. Im a firm beliver of staying away from Patterns with your decoys. 9 out of 10 guys out there are going to make a J or V or something and IMO the birds pick up on that. Look in a field that has birds in it. Sometimes there all togeather, other times there in small groups spread out. And there usually not all facing the same direction.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I am running 12 to 18 decoys of which most are B2s. We don't have big flocks of geese so we just keep it small and don't over think the placement too much. I study the birds on the ground and how they act amongst each other. When they are content, their heads are down and feeding, so most of my decoys are feeders. I think geese notice this from the air and will want to pay your spread a visit. :wink:
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:26 pm

We have a lot of small geese so I have 4 dozen lesser decoys with a few honkers ( a dozen) around the edges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum