180 degree rule

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

180 degree rule

Postby bigblue0827 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:25 am

I was watching a goose hunting video (forget the name right now??) and they talked a lot about the 180 degree rule, meaning try to keep the geese working 180 degrees in front of you and never circling behind you. I have been goose hunting for 10 years or so and have never heard of this. I think the idea has a lot of merit, especially with the black holes in the back of Avery Finisher blinds I run.

Anyone else ever heard of this or practice it? If so, how do you do this in an open field? I get the concept when you are using brush lines, field edges, woodlines etc for a hide.. but how do you manage it when you are setting up in the middle of an open field?

Good luck everyone! Stay safe.
bigblue0827
hunter

Re: 180 degree rule

Postby callndfall27 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:58 pm

i think what they mean is you dont want them locking up from behind you to come in to land. basically dont set up directly down wind from spread, facing the decoys? .... but no crap.... If thats not what they mean than idk. birds circle all the time. seems a bit unrealistic to never let them get behind you.
"when youre lookin eye to eye and the head is green, thats the time to get some action"
callndfall27
Newb

Postby bulletman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:36 am

Are they meaning working the geese or SHOOTING the geese,,,,,,, in competetive shooting the 180 rule is 90 degrees left and right from facing downrange, if you break the 180 degrees you are disqualified. In waterfowl hunting I translate it to shooting out in front of your setup and don't be squirming around in the blind and trying to shoot behind you, and not necessairily 90 degrees to each side if a buddy in a layout blind is one one or both sides of yours.
bulletman
hunter

Postby bigblue0827 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:54 am

Here is the video.. http://www.moltgear.com/the-goose-society-inside.html

They are talking about working birds.. try to set up so they when they circle, they circle in front of you not over top / behind you. This is obvious and works if you are hunting a woodline or something but in most cases, I don't see how it is feasible. We work birds from 3-4 different roosts around, so applying this "rule" seems unrealistic.
bigblue0827
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:41 am

bigblue0827 wrote:Here is the video.. http://www.moltgear.com/the-goose-society-inside.html

They are talking about working birds.. try to set up so they when they circle, they circle in front of you not over top / behind you. This is obvious and works if you are hunting a woodline or something but in most cases, I don't see how it is feasible. We work birds from 3-4 different roosts around, so applying this "rule" seems unrealistic.

Agreed, great in theory, but almost impossible in most situations.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby bigblue0827 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:28 pm

I don't mean to take away from the video by the way. They have a lot of great points, ESPECIALLY if you are in the market for buying new decoys. Had I seen this video prior to spending $1500 on dekes, I would have done a few things different.

Again, not trying to bash the video or the makers..just wondering if there is something this simple minded guy from southern PA doesn't understand.
bigblue0827
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum