HELP soy instead of corn.

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

HELP soy instead of corn.

Postby Nichkor7 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:51 pm

We only have permission to hunt this one field and this year they planted soy bean in it and unfortunately there is cut corn that literally surrounds all for sides of the soy bean field we have permission to hunt and we don't have permission to hunt the corn fields and the geese start working then they see the corn and their gone. Any suggestions we could do to persuade geese to come into the soybeans other then getting permission to hunt the corn??
Thanks!
Nichkor7
hunter

Re: HELP soy instead of corn.

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:07 pm

You've pretty much answered your own question. If you cant get permission, youre pretty well screwed.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Nichkor7 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Yea I figured that I kind of answered my self....
Nichkor7
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:16 am

If the corn fields are bordering your field, and you won't jack someone else's hunt up, hunt towards the edge of the field. Might allow for some success. Not condoning tresspassing if you take bad shots :hi: Otherwise, massive decoy spread if possible.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:54 am

Being where the birds want to be is so much easier, but I understand not having that luxury. If the bean stubble is the only option, I would mud the heck out of my layout blind and toss some stubble on it. Make it blend. Then you get to experiment. Big spreads, little spreads (like 2-12 decoys) with blinds off to the side, power calling, little to no calling, flag, don't flag, put out snow goose wind socks instead of Canada decoys, pass shoot the downwind edge of the cornfields if no one is hunting them. You got nothing to loose by experimenting. If you get a big weather change and fresh snow, be out there in the fresh snow the first time the birds fly out after the snow. Hunt in the fog and just call every so often and listen to make sure nothing passes you by in the fog. I love calling geese out of the fog. Hunt high winds when the birds are flying down on the deck. Or buy a couple of stacks or bales of corn stalks and start spreading. Beat on every door in the area asking permission in the corm fields and look for other areas to hunt. Good luck
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum