Hunting during gusty winds

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Hunting during gusty winds

Postby Nichkor7 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 am

Any tips hunting with 25-35 mph winds? And what to expect
Thanks!
Nichkor7
hunter

Re: Hunting during gusty winds

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:35 am

We have those types of winds all the time here in Kansas. Heres a few things that help. Try a higher pitch goose call, the higher pitch goes thru the wind better. when shooting give plenty of lead and forget the flying type decoy they whip too much in the heavy wind and look phony.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Re: Hunting during gusty winds

Postby blackrock » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:04 am

I've had some great days when it's really windy! If its blowing over 35-40 they have to fly low, which makes them vulnerable to decoying or pass shooting. I always try to go if the wind is going to blow 35-50, our geese are on the deck. Windy with blowing snow even better. I've had some I could have caught with a fishing net. There are challenges in very strong wind though, it can blow decoys over, and if the geese get suspicious all they have to do is tip a wing and they are gone in one second! Our ducks really fly when it's really windy, and all the birds try to get off the big water and head up the rivers and creeks.
blackrock
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum