Go Pro?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Go Pro?

Postby Manitoba outdoors » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:02 pm

I hunt mostly alone and I was wondering if anyone's used a go pro and if they're worth the money.
Manitoba outdoors
hunter

Re: Go Pro?

Postby Jmorris » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:30 pm

I use them and love having them. I originally got 3 of them to mount on the t-top on my Blue Wave for filming my tournament blue cat fishing. It didn't take long and they were in the field with us. I control mine off of my tablet and phone. You'll like them.
Jmorris
hunter

Postby Manitoba outdoors » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Some people say just to get a handheld video camera and put it on a tripod behind me, but wouldn't that be hard to do alone?

What mount would you suggest for the gopro? On my head with the "headlamp" mount?
Manitoba outdoors
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:39 pm

I did not like my Gopro camera; I found the editing and conversion software to be clunky.

Soon I will own a Sony ActionCam.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Manitoba outdoors » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:34 pm

What makes the Sony ActionCam better than a Gopro?
Manitoba outdoors
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Better for me?
I can operate it with my iphone
It has a Carl Zeiss lens
It has superior slow motion ability
Sony has an excellent stablizer
Oh yeah, its $150 cheaper....
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am

Depends on what you hunt out of but I use the mount that comes with it and I use a head mount.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:52 am

Controlling the GoPro on your phone is a good way for it to die before you kill any. Just sayin. I got mine at the Black Friday sale at Wal-Mart.

xtrema13
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Do they make one that isn't wide view? All the birds seem so far away when you watch the videos.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:54 pm

The newer "black 3" version has a couple of FOV settings that help. I have hundreds of hours on an original GOPRO Hero that I use Windows editing software on. Nothing fancy, but I am just trying to keep my hunting buddys happy not a paying client.
Duck video shows like the ducks are 100 yards, most are around 30 or so yards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7X3RRq5y4

Goose video, most are about 15-20 yards or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlCPj1-7 ... ELBU0E2Xuw

I used to use a handheld camcorder, but hated not being able to shoot. This atleast lets me shoot. I will be upgrading to the newer version of gopro this year.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:15 pm

I also recommend getting a Max-4 cover! Turns out there's a bright blinking red light!

xtrema13
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Nice videos.
I am going with the Sony
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Manitoba outdoors » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:31 pm

likesbigspreads wrote:The newer "black 3" version has a couple of FOV settings that help. I have hundreds of hours on an original GOPRO Hero that I use Windows editing software on. Nothing fancy, but I am just trying to keep my hunting buddys happy not a paying client.

I used to use a handheld camcorder, but hated not being able to shoot. This atleast lets me shoot. I will be upgrading to the newer version of gopro this year.

I've watched these videos on youtube and i liked the last video, the footage was pretty good so this video is actually why I started wanting a gopro.
Manitoba outdoors
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:17 pm

likesbigspreads wrote:The newer "black 3" version has a couple of FOV settings that help. I have hundreds of hours on an original GOPRO Hero that I use Windows editing software on. Nothing fancy, but I am just trying to keep my hunting buddys happy not a paying client.

Nice videos. How focused can you get? Reason I ask is the goose video is a lot more focused than the duck hunt. Is that because they were closer or a different setting?

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 pm

[quote="Nelliboy2]

Nice videos. How focused can you get? Reason I ask is the goose video is a lot more focused than the duck hunt. Is that because they were closer or a different setting?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk[/quote]
There is no focus, just the wide angle. The reason the geese look closer is because they are bigger and dumber! The Hero 3 has a couple settings for field of view to make them look a little closer.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:58 pm

I see do you just leave it on while you hunt or turn it on and off? I was wanting one for layout boat hunting but I am still a little worried about how small they will look. Most shots are 20-35 I'd say. But they are usually little divers.

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby likesbigspreads » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:27 am

Nelliboy2 wrote:I see do you just leave it on while you hunt or turn it on and off? I was wanting one for layout boat hunting but I am still a little worried about how small they will look. Most shots are 20-35 I'd say. But they are usually little divers.

For geese i take it on and off my head. When I think its gonna be go time i throw it on my head and turn it on. For ducks I just leave it on the whole time and just turn it on and hit record when it is time.
Its not the best thing for ducks for sure, but at least it allows me to film and shoot. I can handle filming geese and not shooting, but I got the fever too bad to let my buddys shoot ducks while I film.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby EastCoastAvian » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:46 pm

I got a GoPro for xmas and absolutely love it. If your the kind of guy who likes to update or is a video quality whore id get one of the 3+'s to start off. Buy a head mount and make a gopole and you should will be able to make some quality videos! ps: don't shoot on 1080p if your computer can't support the play back or you'll be in a world of frustration. also you can go into settings and turn the sound and flashing light off--dont waste money on a 20 buck camo sticker to cover it up.
EastCoastAvian
Newb

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Love mine. I plan on buying a black and you can connect your phone to it to view your footage and used it as a remote
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby razorrt5 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 pm

you can look into the spypoint xcel too. I bought one for waterfowl hunting and its $250 and comes with camo cover and accessories for bow, barrel, head mount etc.. I love it...made the majority of this movie with it...definitely worth the money especially since I can attach to the bow and barrel etc.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foP2bab8S8
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:40 pm

I just bought the newest Sony action cam, the HDR-AS100V/W. I have been researching a lot lately, and I like everything I am reading so far compared to the go pro. Superior low light, which tends to be when a lot of my shooting occurs. As well as awesome picture stabilization to fix that bouncy picture. Guy was literally running down a trail, and the go pro was bouncing all over the place, and the sony looked like he was walking normally. Sony audio is also noticeably better.

I got a deal on it for 209 before accessories. I bought a head mount, car charger, spare battery, and dog harness mount for an extra hundo. Couldn't say no to that price for such a well equipped camera.

Has anyone else used this camera, or even the older models? The AS-10 or AS 15? There isn't much info as far as using it for hunting. just a few random YouTube videos.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 am

I have a gopro hear 3+. There is an awesome free app for my Iphone. I can can adjust settings, watch the video and control it from my phone. The video quailty is awesome with it as well.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:23 pm

just ordered a hero 3 Black with a one year warranty for $329. Super stoked- I can't wait to get it! I decided to get a hero 3, due to the fact the focus is set for unlimited focus, while the 3+ is set for 4-5 feet for all those go-pole selfies. Also it has the stronger dive case, which works for me due to the fact I am also a scuba diver!
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum