Interesting

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Interesting

Postby muktuk_bill » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:49 pm

I shot a canada goose this morning that was banded. This is the first time me or my buds saw a banded canada here in NW Alaska. I just sent the numbers to the USGS site and got the prompt response. It is a male, hatched and banded at Brook Lake in Washington near Stratford in 2011. Then they said it was unusual and wanted pics of bird/band. I cut all the extremities off the bird and it's in the fridge. I tried to take pics but my connection is weird and slow. I'm guessing the unusual thing is that it wasnt born up here. any other ideas?
muktuk_bill
hunter

Re: Interesting

Postby razorrt5 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:01 am

Crazy, That's got to be rare. I was snow goose hunting in February back home in Maryland on the Chesapeake bay and we killed a ross, there not even suppose to be in the Atlantic flyway.
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
hunter

Postby tsamp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Same goes for blue geese in the Atlantic! They are a lesser morph but sometimes whined up with greater snows I guess! At least that's how I understand it but don't quote me. As for your goose maybe it just got side tracked or mixed up on migration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:36 am

Only idea I could come up with is that it was April 24th when you shot it and I'm not aware of any state that has a spring Canada goose season. Maybe I'm not apprised of any strange Canada goose seasons, but most US states and Canada have their Canada goose seasons starting in the fall and ending in the winter. Snow geese are the only species I'm aware of that has open season in the spring.

Maybe they wanted a picture for evidence!! :eek:
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:42 am

tenfingergrip wrote:Only idea I could come up with is that it was April 24th when you shot it and I'm not aware of any state that has a spring Canada goose season. Maybe I'm not apprised of any strange Canada goose seasons, but most US states and Canada have their Canada goose seasons starting in the fall and ending in the winter. Snow geese are the only species I'm aware of that has open season in the spring.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe native Alaskans are aloud to hunt geese and ducks during the spring migration, but I'm not positive.
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby muktuk_bill » Fri May 02, 2014 1:24 am

yes, the season is open until june 15th and closed until july 15th. It opened on April 1. Here in rural Alaska that is. Going out tomorrow and see if my new plywood crane silohuettes draw any of those long legged tasty prehistoric looking birds in. I'll be eating muktuk too!
muktuk_bill
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri May 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Always wanted to try muktuk.
KRB
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri May 02, 2014 7:30 pm

If muktuk. means Big Hootered Redhead In the Native Alaska tongue, I'm in, I have always wanted to try one of them
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Sat May 03, 2014 9:15 am

That is interesting, but what, you have a year round season on geese? That is awesome! My guess is your bird fell in love with a migrating Alaska bird and followed it. You might have broken up a long distance relationship... :sad:
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:14 pm

goosehappy wrote:That is interesting, but what, you have a year round season on geese? That is awesome! My guess is your bird fell in love with a migrating Alaska bird and followed it. You might have broken up a long distance relationship... :sad:

:lol: :lol:
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:09 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Only idea I could come up with is that it was April 24th when you shot it and I'm not aware of any state that has a spring Canada goose season. Maybe I'm not apprised of any strange Canada goose seasons, but most US states and Canada have their Canada goose seasons starting in the fall and ending in the winter. Snow geese are the only species I'm aware of that has open season in the spring.

glad I wasnt the only one! :lol3:
but ya im guessin that goose just took a wrong turn somewhere along the line. every once and a while someone out here in colorado will shoot a scoter.. way off course lol
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:59 pm

I shot a banded mallard that was band on devil lake ND....killed it in southern Ohio.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum