Dying raffia grass

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Dying raffia grass

Postby gandergunner » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Hey guys whatsup, I have been doing research on getting bulk raffia grass from jsterns, or franksupply. Now i have seen everyone talking about dying it, and i have only been seeing it dyed a darker color or shades of brown. I am wanting to dye it green, so we can hide layouts in winter wheat fields and other green field situations. Has anyone ever died it green and if so could you post pics and describe how it worked? If i posted this is in the wrong section sorry.
gandergunner
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Dying raffia grass

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 am

Try the clothing dye you get in the little boxes at wal mart. Or paint it with that camo green paint. I just painted some spanish moss for mine we'll see how it holds up.
Tengo demasiado caca
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Get yourself some RIT dye, I got it from a craft store. Paint doesn't stick to raffia well and wears off quick.

Search dying raffia in google and you will get a ton of info. There is one page in particular that has step by step instructions. Its a simple but timely process, if your doing any substantial amount. The biggest challenge is getting the color right, as you will probably have to custom mix your dye to get the right shade of green. The green dye right out of the bottle was too bright to me.

Also when you buy the raffia get the natural since your going to dye it anyway.

This is a good off season project (I did quite a bit over the summer) and you can make the grass match the area you hunt by dying it yourself.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:36 am

Yeah the right shade of green is tough. Buddy of mine showed up with a layout decked out in some he did and it looked like Easter bunny grass, I have some killer weed I need to dye darker let us know how you make out
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby rmh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:55 am

For darker colors you have to let it soak longer, I've had it in the mix all day to get it to where I wanted it.

I've found brown harder to get right than green.
2016 Totals
1 2013 Honda Fit (harvested by a Nissan Maxima)
1 2003 F150 (harvested by a large oak tree)
1 2002 Ford Taurus (died of old age)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
1 2001 Honda Civic (harvested by a Lexus)

It was a bad year.
rmh
hunter

Postby Waterfowl Ace » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:58 pm

I bought a bunch of this for last season to put on the boat. It was pretty bright, and light when I got it. What I did was simply wad it up and throw it in a big rubbermaid tub full of real dark, thick mud from the garden. It will get quite heavy but then I just hung them on the fence to try. They look perfect now and I used them all season.
Waterfowl Ace
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum