Neck Bands

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Neck Bands

Postby DerekWayneClark » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 pm

Does anyone know how many canada geese have neck bands. My life goal is to shoot a neck banded goose. have any of you shot a neck banded canada. Thanks
DerekWayneClark
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 pm

No idea on how many. I see two or three a year and I see a LOT of geese every year. I do see quite a few leg bands and actually got two this year. :banana:

A flock of geese flew over me and my buddy last year. They came from his side and I couldn't see them coming. So when he said take them, I stood up and there were about 20 geese about 30-35 yards overhead. I drop my two in two shots. My buddy also dropped his two in two shots. What I didn't know is he saw the orange neck band coming and obviously shot that one first. After our four shots, there were 2 dead geese and 3 cripples on the water :eek: The limit is 2 each.

The really scary part is that the one cripple is wearing an orange neck band, is sitting very high in the water, and is 60+ yards away. We started throwing shots at it, my dog is chasing the cripple around that is closest to the blind, and a third one is swimming away. We are now in a state of chaos with three very lively cripples including one with a neck band. After I think we both fired our third shell, reloaded, and emptied our guns a second time. The goose with the orange neck band decided he had had enough and got up and flew away :mad: :mad: Well, at least we didn't end up over the limit. I think my buddy still kicks himself to this day for shooting the second goose and not making sure the neck banded goose was dead.

Just to finish the story, I take a couple of whacks at the third one swimming away while my buddy gets in the rowboat and starts chasing the one cripple that's swimming away. My dog is chasing the other goose as it swims through all the decoys. My buddy finally chases the one cripple down and shoots it and shortly thereafter my dog finally chases the last cripple clear of the decoys and safely away from her and I finish it off for her. The guys in the blind next to us must have thought we were being attacked by the geese with all the gunfire :yes:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:07 pm

I think i was reading somewhere that they are going to do away with neck bands because they have a tendency to get wet in the winter a freeze up around the birds neck making the bird have to carry around a big ice cube around its neck. I am not sure what they are going to do. but, i have not seen any neck banded geese only leg bands.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby eiderman1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:00 pm

I shot a yellow neck band this year. A few years ago I shot 3 white funnel collars. The neck collars are very few and far between
eiderman1
hunter

neck bands

Postby diggerduck » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:55 am

hunted in Devils Lake, ND this past fall....no goose neck bands but a short story... Swans are legal in ND with a permit, we were picking up our snow goose spread (killed 23 snows, 4 mallards ) just as we finished, a young swan came over with a neck band on...not one of our simple butts had a permit.. the thing made 3 passes 20 yards from us... another guy hunting near us killed a swan with a radio collar on...
No Trespassing:
Violators will be shot
Survivors will be violated
diggerduck
hunter

Postby addicted2duck » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:31 pm

shot this one in december. this is the first one that our group has ever seen, and some of us have hunted for over 35 years!
addicted2duck
DHC Sponsor

Postby indiana boy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:59 am

addicted2duck wrote:shot this one in december. this is the first one that our group has ever seen, and some of us have hunted for over 35 years!

Im huntn in southern indiana and the last 10 years I have been seeing more and more neck bands most of them are orange. I have always heard that orange means they were banded in canada. Can anyone confirm that?
indiana boy
Newb

Postby Skyblaster7 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:59 pm

Neck Bands or Collars
Goose collars are used to study goose populations or track geese as part of a research project. Collars can be easily read from a distance with binoculars or a telescope. This allows researchers to identify an individual bird using the combination of collar color, code color, and the code on the collar.

Goose collars come in many different colors. It is possible to see several colors in one area, as color may indicate the flyway or a special project. Collars come in two shapes. Most collars that are used today are cylinders of hard plastic. On the east coast of the United States and Canada, bib-type collars are seen. These collars are cone-shaped and made of flexible vinyl. Collars may have 3 or 4 characters on them. It is important to report collars with characters facing two directions with care. Drawing the collars or stating "vertical 1 horizontal 2 3" both help to ensure that the codes are reported correctly.

Small subspecies of Canada Geese have codes that are 3 characters, and the cone-shaped collars in the Atlantic Flyway are also only 3 characters. Most large Canada Geese have collars with four characters. Snow Goose, White-fronted Goose, and other species of geese have 3 or 4 characters on the collar. Codes may be vertical, horizontal, or some combination. The letters, numbers, and other symbols may be highly stylized to allow for easier separation of similar characters.

Occasionally you will see a collar that has only 2 characters or is completely black. Collars with two characters have a radio transmitter attachment. The collar allows the radioed bird to be visually identified as well as tracked by radio.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby diggerduck » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:32 pm

Skyblaster, you sound like you are in the know.... Have you heard anything about them stopping neckbands due to them collecting ice and dirt? I heard they can cause the bird some great discomfort, like its a huge ice cube around their neck.
No Trespassing:
Violators will be shot
diggerduck
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:59 am

diggerduck wrote:Skyblaster, you sound like you are in the know.... Have you heard anything about them stopping neckbands due to them collecting ice and dirt? I heard they can cause the bird some great discomfort, like its a huge ice cube around their neck.

No, they're still putting them on. Some ice does accumulate around the band but it's usually not that bad. Plus researchers need the neck collars to see these birds in the field when they're tracking them, with or without a transmitter. If you keep your eyes peeled, delta waterfowl, along with many other organizations, will be putting them on this year while the birds molt. They have had drawings in the past so people could help out.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby diggerduck » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:29 pm

thanks for the input Sky, had always wondered if they would change
No Trespassing:
Violators will be shot
diggerduck
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:57 pm

No problem, but keep in mind that there's plenty of research showing that neck-banded birds do suffer from increased mortality.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:18 am

Skyblaster7 wrote:keep in mind that there's plenty of research showing that neck-banded birds do suffer from increased mortality.
You would too if somebody hung a bullseye on your neck. :rofl:

Seriously, some people get bothered that hunters target the neck bands. So what? One goose was going to die no matter what. It just makes the whole thing a little more interesting. I wish they put more neck bands on.

Do they want us to report numbers if we can read them on the collared geese? The live ones that is. Would you do it just like reporting a band from a bird you shot?
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Report as many as possible, even ones that are still alive.

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/call800.htm
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby dukhunter2705 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Shot a neck collared Speck this season, he came in with another Speck and about 150 little Canadas. 2nd neck collar I have shot
dukhunter2705
hunter

Postby Lee Pete » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:33 pm

In Hamilton Ontario Canada where I live, down by the lake Ontario there's probably 400 or more birds with them large orange bands with black numbers. I'm not to far from NY just about 4 hours. I'm not sure if these birds ever migrate im sure some join migrating flocks though.
Lee Pete
hunter

Postby R.J. » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:22 pm

Around here the orange ones with white letter are southern jamesbay geese(lesser) that they are trying to protect, often if you see one there is a family group banded. This past year in a local park I saw 2 orange neckies and 17 bands in one group, never could find were they feed though. :sad:
R.J.
Newb

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:58 pm

Around here they are white with black letters. I have pictures of my kids hand feeding 2 neck banded and 3 leg banded birds at the park.

And I know where they feed :yes:
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby pappy8745 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:18 am

I just saw a flock in city limits at a pond, the flock was about 20 canadas and there were 6 neck bands (numbers all close in range), I was within 10 feet of them (just walking) 2 of them also had red leg bands. Out of hunting season, but I still would have loved to pull out a bow and drop some arrows in them!
pappy8745
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:51 am

pappy8745 wrote:I just saw a flock in city limits at a pond, the flock was about 20 canadas and there were 6 neck bands (numbers all close in range), I was within 10 feet of them (just walking) 2 of them also had red leg bands. Out of hunting season, but I still would have loved to pull out a bow and drop some arrows in them!

Did you record the numbers?
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby pappy8745 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 pm

no, why??
pappy8745
hunter

Postby mike. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:07 pm

cuz you can report them even if they are still alive.. you just let the banding office know the bird is not dead.. this lets them know where the birds are and tells them they are still alive.
mike.
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:13 pm

This is the only way I have ever shot one. Wish I could get lucky and get one with a gun.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:56 am

mike. wrote:cuz you can report them even if they are still alive.. you just let the banding office know the bird is not dead.. this lets them know where the birds are and tells them they are still alive.

You also receive a little report via e-mail telling you where it was banded and the date. It's encouraged to report all bands, dead or alive, so managers have a better idea of migration patterns and so on.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby pappy8745 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Well I will take a pic for you guys, cuz I saw the flock again today (a week later) still altogether and I will record the bands. Thanks for the info, I was unaware you could do that.
pappy8745
hunter

Next

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum