Calling geese OFF the water

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Calling geese OFF the water

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:13 am

Has any one had any luck with this????

I have a few flocks of geese I have been scouting and they fly in 10:30 to 11:00 on the water. Thats a little too late for me to be working afterwards. They fly off for their roost about 8:05 and sunset is 7:41 and thats when I have to quit. At 7:15 - 30 the birds are starting to group up and flapping wings and getting ready to fly off.

Just before taking off they get to clucking and work them selves up to take off. Would calling just before dark make them more likely to move before sunset and during legal shooting light? They fly low so pass shooting is fine or might dekes be better to draw them in still?
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:44 pm

Good Question! But sorry I cant answer that one. I would like to know if that would work also, because I have that same exact situation with me. However mine get up a little earlier everyonce in a while and when they do its a blast. But that only happens like once or twice a season, I wonder if calling to would help get them up earlier.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby lars » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:25 pm

yeahh
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum