Geese in the rain.

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Geese in the rain.

Postby AvianAddict » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:57 pm

How do geese typically act in the rain? Do they fly or normally wait for a rain to stop then fly? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AvianAddict
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Geese in the rain.

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:22 am

Most goose/weather questions can be answered with "What would you do?" If it's raining (or extremely cold), only disturbed or, perhaps, extremely hungry ones are apt to move early. Most will try to wait it out until the rain lets up or hunger eventually drives them to move in it.

(A rule of thumb that is NOT applicable to ducks. They're crazier than most of us.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby spider316 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:42 pm

I ve noticed that they will fly out a little bit later but will sit in that field all day. Also they will have particular fields they will use like crazy in crap weather and wont look at them in good weather. If you have any sleeper decoys, definately run them also.
Most experienced novice Duckhunter the good Lord ever created !
spider316
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Snows and Specks on the firing line... pass shooting at Sacramento in the '60s was absolutely fabulous in a South West wind and heavy rain on the leading edge of a new storm..
Never had good goose shoots in a driving rain since.

A good, calm day, cloudy or not is usually best for our goose shoots, but not always. Two years ago we had to tie the big blind to a Russian Olive tree behind us, and watch as flocks of geese moved across the field at us so slow they could have landed and walked in faster.
They were coming maybe twenty feet off the deck, and finishing at 25 yards at five to eight feet high when leader's web touched down. Two quick shots as fast as you could line up on 'em and they were gone.
Flock after flock finished in like they were on strings.
Wind can be good, but you'll think your shells are loaded with sand at times!
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:07 am

Regular rain no change what so every, it even is usually better hunting. Heavy blowing rain and they will sit still on the roost or day roost. The same with cold as its cold and they fly more for food, very cold snap and they park on the roost.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:22 am

I learned a long time ago that the only thing more harder than a woman to figure out is a goose. They do what they want, when they want and it doesn't make any difference what the weather is. Ricks advice is sound. From personal experience of living next to a groups of small lakes that winters geese , they don't usually fly in a heavy rain but a light rain doesn't stop them a bit.

Ive got a question about geese that no one has ever given me an answer to. When geese leave their roost to feed, Why do they fly over field after field of lush grain etc to feed in a field that looks like crap 8 miles away.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 am

They trust it.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:52 am

Rick Hall wrote:They trust it.

Gotta be more than trust in the field for them to fly and by pass field after field that look just alike especially in Kansas where wheat fields are in the open in most cases. We have field after field of 160 acre wheat fields that are wide open, but they by pass these fields and land in a field that's doesn't look very good at all. I've talk to biologists about it and they have no answer either.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 am

I gave you the answer, don't care if you buy it or not. Same reason some get up here and fly 40 miles to over there, while others are getting up over there to fly over here. It's worked for them in the past.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 am

Rick Hall wrote:I gave you the answer, don't care if you buy it or not. Same reason some get up here and fly 40 miles to over there, while others are getting up over there to fly over here. It's worked for them in the past.

Im gonna give that my vote as well. Its safe, they've been eating there and no hunters to harass them. Id drive to the other side of town for lunch too if I had reasons to think I may get shot in the face on this side.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I gave you the answer, don't care if you buy it or not. Same reason some get up here and fly 40 miles to over there, while others are getting up over there to fly over here. It's worked for them in the past.

Rick, sure once geese feed in a field unmolested they will return to it, that is indeed trust but what brought them to that spot the first time. One day I chased a flight of about a thousand Snow geese from their roost to a field 22 miles away that sat on the outskirts of a small town right next to a HS football field. There was a school teacher coming out of the school so I pulled into the parking lot and asked him if the geese had been feeding there before. his reply was no, there hasn't been a goose on that field all season.
They passed thousands of acres of food in that 22 miles and there wasn't probably 5 fields in all those thousands of acres that had hunters in them.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Surely there are any number of reasons geese initially take a field, but suspect trust is, again, one of them. Seems like they're imprinted to some places they always seem to take first down here, and I've got to believe it's because it's worked out well for them in the past.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Surely there are any number of reasons geese initially take a field, but suspect trust is, again, one of them. Seems like they're imprinted to some places they always seem to take first down here, and I've got to believe it's because it's worked out well for them in the past.

This is certainly true to a large degree, but about the time I think I can plan on it, they will break the pattern, and then suddenly return to it.
Weather often plays a part in a broken pattern, but not always. Sometimes it just happens for no reason I can figure out.
Crop rotations is a never ending frustration here, and I try to maintain a stable of good fields to bounce to if crops go over to something that doesn't suit their desires on a given year.
Last season was a bit of a head scratcher at first glance, but turned into a very pleasant surprise in the end.
A favorite goose field was not planted at all. It lay fallow all Autumn, and I was on the edge of despair, but secretly held out hope for it based on it's location. Never saw a single goose on it all season, and I checked it every few days.
Finally I just bit the bullet and set up on it one morning. Limits or near limits running traffic once it got as much as two inches of snow, because newly arriving geese did not know there was no feed below that snow.
10 days of the best goose hunting all season, and I'd had pretty good ones last year in other locations, but the bare field beat them all!
I'll leave a rainy day to others in most cases, unless I'm expecting ducks over water, but I still prefer a cool, dry day most often!
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:Surely there are any number of reasons geese initially take a field, but suspect trust is, again, one of them. Seems like they're imprinted to some places they always seem to take first down here, and I've got to believe it's because it's worked out well for them in the past.

This is certainly true to a large degree, but about the time I think I can plan on it, they will break the pattern, and then suddenly return to it.
Weather often plays a part in a broken pattern, but not always. Sometimes it just happens for no reason I can figure out.
Crop rotations is a never ending frustration here, and I try to maintain a stable of good fields to bounce to if crops go over to something that doesn't suit their desires on a given year.
Last season was a bit of a head scratcher at first glance, but turned into a very pleasant surprise in the end.
A favorite goose field was not planted at all. It lay fallow all Autumn, and I was on the edge of despair, but secretly held out hope for it based on it's location. Never saw a single goose on it all season, and I checked it every few days.
Finally I just bit the bullet and set up on it one morning. Limits or near limits running traffic once it got as much as two inches of snow, because newly arriving geese did not know there was no feed below that snow.
10 days of the best goose hunting all season, and I'd had pretty good ones last year in other locations, but the bare field beat them all!
I'll leave a rainy day to others in most cases, unless I'm expecting ducks over water, but I still prefer a cool, dry day most often!

Out of hunting geese for over 40 years, my most memorable hunt was on a 31 degree day, absolutely zero wind and light snow falling. The snow flakes were small, light and floating almost straight down, we couldn't keep the geese out of the wheat field we were hunting. There were 5 of us hunting and one guy had a 3/4 ton pickup with a big camper on it. We got there about 2 hours before daylight and 4 of us set the decoys while the other guy cooked breakfast. I can still almost taste that hot coffee, Potatoes o Bryan, Sausage and Bacon and Pancakes. That was over 25 years ago, wow does the time fly.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Sweet. I can hardly recall a hunt in detail from this past season.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Sweet. I can hardly recall a hunt in detail from this past season.

Now that is odd!
I can recall a select few from decades ago...but somehow I suspect there may be many more than one all balled up together in each of those.

But I know I can recall many over the past five season pretty accurately.
The best of them burn deeply.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 am

Maybe fried from too much "fun" early on? Maybe gelled with age?

I've never been good with the names of our hunters, but used to see a face and remember the hunts that went with it in some detail, often years later. Now, after thirty-some years of being out there every open morning and many afternoons, the hunts mostly seem to run together. And I seem more apt to recall a slow hunt than a jam-up one.

On the bright side, I've kept a fairly detailed and often illustrated log for the past ten seasons that prompts a lot of sweet, and not so sweet, memories, and the captioned hero shots therein make a good crib sheet for hunter names.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Of course in my case the hunts years ago must rely entirely on memory.
The hunts over the last fives years or so have this handy little advantage of images stored here and other on-line places to jog the recall a bit.
Best log there is!
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:36 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:The hunts over the last fives years or so have this handy little advantage of images stored here and other on-line places to jog the recall a bit.
Best log there is!

The only way I've ever managed to maintain a log for an entire season has been through public commitment to the log sections of on-line sites, but those sites have been less than stable repositories, and backing the logs up critical. (Says a guy whose Word copies of the first seven may be lost to a crashed hard drive that wasn't backed up...)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:04 am

About flying to fields, I have noticed over the years that geese tend to like to fly a longer ways to feed in the morning than at night. Like they need the exercise after resting all night. Around here the residents seem to like to fly several miles before feeding in the morning, but in the afternoon they can lift up and right back down next t the day roost. Not sure why, but it is just my personal experience around here.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

River hunting in my Wilderness Systems Kayaks; Commander 120 and Ride 135
My Blog archeryrob.wordpress.com Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 am

Cupped-n-Committed wrote:About flying to fields, I have noticed over the years that geese tend to like to fly a longer ways to feed in the morning than at night. Like they need the exercise after resting all night. Around here the residents seem to like to fly several miles before feeding in the morning, but in the afternoon they can lift up and right back down next t the day roost. Not sure why, but it is just my personal experience around here.

CC, Ive noticed the same thing depending on the moon phase and cloud cover. Seems if they are feeding on a full moon the distance they fly to feed of an evening doesn't make much difference, and sometimes they stay in the field all night and fly back to the roost in the early morning but if its cloudy or with no moon they just fly a short distance
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum