early season evenings

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

early season evenings

Postby littleone » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:26 am

would there be an approx. time that the geese may fly in the evenings to there roosting spots. dont want to sit all day. things are alittle slow in my neck of the crick. goin out tonight . need your help,,,,thanks
if the first shot doesnt work shoot again !
littleone
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:56 am

Where I hunt they usaully fly in about 5 minutes after shooting time.
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby on duck call » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:34 pm

I find the warmer it is the latter they come in. I haven't gone yet this year but my friends have and the geese are coming in after shooting time by 15 minutes. Unless you have an active feeding field the birds are'nt really on the move yet. The last week of Sept. is always been the time to go. Lets face it I can only eat so many geese and we have a long season ahead of us.
on duck call
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:40 am

H-2-O-FOWL wrote:Where I hunt they usaully fly in about 5 minutes after shooting time.

Right on the money. I was coming home from soccer Tuesday and blocked the whole road as geese flew into a field at 7:46 and sunset is at 7:40. :pissed: Somebody bought these critters watches.

They are roosting all day on the rivers around here. Sometimes we have to pick a field and hope for the best or hunt the river and hope for them to be pushed by a kayaker or fisherman.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby littleone » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:49 am

ive been two mornings and one night with no luck. just wantin to break in my new 11-87 rem. thanks for the info, its been awlful hot , our season ends 09-15 hope it gets cooler...good luck
if the first shot doesnt work shoot again !
littleone
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:19 pm

Did you scout them? I did not this year but I know where they are. Mornings are choice. Just get between the roost and a field and work te dekes.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter25 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:39 pm

:withstupid: YOU GOTTA SCOUT MAN. ITS HARD TO TELL WHEN YOUR BIRDS ARE ACTIVE FROM MILES AWAY. SCOUT , SCOUT, SCOUT. iF YOUR HUNTING WATER IN THE EVENING THEN YOUR PROBABLY SETTING UP ON A ROOST, BAD IDEA. IF YOUR HUNTING A FIELD, SCOUT EM AND SET UP AS NEEDED.
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Temps also play abig part of when they heading out to feed.; If it is hot out--they often will not go out to feed. If cooler then they will 1 time, and if getting colder then twice a day is seems.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby take EM' close » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:10 pm

Admin2 wrote:Temps also play abig part of when they heading out to feed.; If it is hot out--they often will not go out to feed. If cooler then they will 1 time, and if getting colder then twice a day is seems.

I'm gonna say I disagree with that because geese around here feed sometime 3 times a day, the coldest it's been is probably 40* at nights. Went out and scouted last weekend after youth day and seen geese in a field at 8:30 a.m.....drove around until 10:30 a.m. and they were gone. Came back out at noon to check on some cranes and they were back in there again. We left at 2:30 p.m. and they were gone. Came BACK out at 5:00 p.m. to shoot a crane and they were back in there....went by the field at 7:30 p.m. and they were gone once again. I'm 90% sure they are the same geese because it was pretty muchly the same numbers as the day went on. It got me and dad very confused....but I very well could be going crazy just because season is sooooo close!! :yes:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum