How would you set this decoy spread?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

How would you set this decoy spread?

Postby Ambushem » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:12 pm

Alrighty guys, I am hunting on winter wheat that has already been cut, been watching the field and watching the geese land in the same area as last year. I have 36 shells w/flocked heads, 4 standing/looker decoys also w/ flocked heads, and about 24 sillouettes. I have 3 layout blinds also, how would you guys set up your decoys/sillouettes to get the best performance, better yet, what would you guys do in this situation, we dont have any snow on the ground yet, so the all the geese that I have seen have been standing...... What patterns or designs do you guys use to set up your decoys, and oh also, the field is about 50 feet above the river, and river is just loaded with geese at night, so most of the geese will be coming in a western direction. Sorry if I am a little scatter brained here lol, please let me know if you guys need more info....... any information would be helpful, thanks
Ambushem
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:47 pm

Well I don't know if this is too late but if I were you I would just look and see what the geese are doing. More that likely, the geese are going to be sitting in more less family groups. You will want to separate your decoys and spread them out....though don't put any bunches out of gun range, well try not ot as much as possible, because them damn geese have a 6th sence and when they know that there are decoys (or geese as they think) outta gun range....that's where they are sitting. You still want a good group in the middle of your spread...preferable on the X, that way they will feel more comfortable and will more than likely land in the midst of the big group.

It also depends on the size of the flocks....alot of the smaller flocks (2-7) will normally like and tend to land right in the midst because they like to be the center of attention but the bigger flocks (15-100) will swing a few times, look things over, and will normally land short or off the one side of the decoys....thats why on the bigger flocks you need to bust into them when you get the chance.

Another thing you might consider is just using anywhere from 3-20 or less decoys because these geese aren't really bunched up all that much and know which family is who. They also know what geese are using that field and if there is a ginormous spread sitting there...more than likely it's just going to ruin things. Get the most realistic decoys you have and use those...then as things get tougher and the geese get wiser...bring out the full 100 or whatever you have.

Anyway....thats just a little bit of my .02!! :salude:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby Ambushem » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:31 am

No, its not too late, and thanks a bunch for the info, makes sense to do it like your sayin.
Ambushem
hunter

Postby duckhunter25 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:29 pm

:salude: I would definatly agree with the familt groups. But i might try this. putting about 75% in one big bunch just down wind from you and set the rest out in family groups of 5-9. creating the hole. oh and dont leave ample room for them to land in with the big flock. make them look like they are feeding hard. Also dont put any ganders or centurys in with the family groups. I know that is different but it might create the illusion to incomming geese that every thing is relaxed here. And when you call to them it will look like your big flock is doing the chatting, therfore pulling them down in front of you for a good shot. As far as the coffin boxes, set them up like usual.
duckhunter25
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum