Goose hunting tips - number of decoys

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Goose hunting tips - number of decoys

Postby nmourad78 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:04 pm

From what i've read so far i'm planing on hunting in a corn field with a small number of decoys (about 10). Do i need to go out and buy more? The problem is i just spent a big sum of money on my new beretta AL 391 Camo and to be honest the pocket is a little light, keeping in mind i still need to buy duck decoys also. Any suggestions...can duck decoys and geese be mixed together?
I'de Rather be hunting
nmourad78
Newb

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:42 am

yea you could mix in mallards like some fullbody g&h mallards or some enticers but you should get more goose decoys prolly some foots they are the best deeks......
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:18 am

put the ducks seperate from the geese and in front of them because they tend to be more aggressive feeders. Actually adding ducks to your spread is a good idea for confidence, but only if you keep 'em apart. From what I've seen out in the fields the geese tend to fend for themselves.
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:59 pm

you probly need a few more geese i would pick up 1 doz reel geese sillo's around $100 for the standers this will give you a nice spered for ealy season after that find a rich friend that can buy another 5 doz or so and take him hunting lol and soe mallared fullbodys would be a nice addition hutting both gesse and ducks over water if you are by shore having fullbodys on the bank while hunting ducks really brings confidence
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:04 pm

I only use about 3doz decoys.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby atp » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:48 am

Re number of goose decoys

we use 12 goose and 9 duck---as mentioned above--keep the ducks in front of the feeding pattern.We do also use the robo-goose--this weekend the fellows in next field had at least 60 decoys--the birds kept coming to our small flock--probably due to the robo-goose.We limited out before the others fired a shot--it was so bad they sent over a hunter to see what we were using.

Good hunting

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:15 am

For the new guys, in front means up wind of the geese, not in front of you when you are facing down wind while hunting.

I use only 9 FBs at start of season if no competition around. And as the season progresses the geese come in bigger flocks and my spread does the same, gets bigger.

If lack of hauling/storage room is a problem, then the Silos are pretty darned good--especially the Real Geese Pro series with the no shine on 1 side, About $130 dzUSD 1 FA silo bag will hold comfortably 2 dz silos. SO abpot $300. But is takes more silos for the same sized flock as FBs.

As for the duck decoy comment, I love the G&H shells for filed hunting. I would rather have FB Honkers out than FB Mallards out for the $ and most impact for the $. You can use reg h2o duck decoys too, but I would recomend oversize or Mags for better them seeing the decoys. But then again my thinking is bigger sized is better so they see the spread easier from a longer ways away.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby teal_tormentor » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:16 pm

180 full body Canadian with about 1.5 dozen mallards should be sufficient for a cornfield.
Take a youngster hunting today instead of taking him to rehab tomorrow.
teal_tormentor
hunter

goose decoy

Postby arm259 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:52 am

I made 2 doz out of 2-3 sheets of plywood and painted them. they are easy to put out in the field and dont take up much room. just buy some gray, black, white, brown spray paint.
arm259

Postby hardcoregoosehunter » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:39 pm

i use 4-5 dozen full bodies mixed in with some shells on motoin sticks
hardcoregoosehunter
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:34 pm

I would buy some windsocks. You can get 50 for 60 dollars! I usually make a lane facing with the wind so the geese funnel right down in. I put my shells/fullbodys, and more detailed ones on the inside and windsocks and silouhettes on the outside. Good luck man! :salude:
T-MAN
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum