Duck Hunting Forum banner

A ? for you geese hunters

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  CMAN 
#1 ·
I am not a goose hunter and only own 5 deks that seldom get out of the barn. For the most part I didn't get into it for the simple fact that money hasn't always been in excess around this household. I am however thinking about getting alittle more involved in it for the sake of getting to kill more fowl in the early seasons. I have some goose calls (mostly junk) that I can get a few notes on. Can you all recommend a good call (under 100$) ? I also wondered if the fully flocked deks were that much better than the unflocked or flocked heads only? Thanks guys.

#5 ·
flocked decoys are the best thing i have ever hunted with. So far the results are great. As far a goose call. look at the RNT quackhead goozilla. $25 and it is a calling machine. At least the one i have is. My second choice would be a knight and hale mag. clucker, and i think they are like 10.99 or so. Anyway good luck to ya, and let me know if you need anyother help

#6 ·
the easiest call ive ever come across is the big river long honker like twenty bucks. if you dont mind practicing with a short reed i would suggest the canada hammer 2 from buck gardner. also like twenty bucks. for dekes just buy shells. you mentioned hunting mainly the early season and that is plenty for early season especially if you are in the spot the geese want to be. plus they are alot cheaper than full bodies. good luck

#8 ·
Check those online auction sites, didnt want to mention the name. there is alot of equip on there, new and used. I have seen calls go new for 5-10 bucks and new dekes for half price. Just a thought, Good luck !!!

#10 ·
Canada Hammer for a call, works decent and is not to expensive ($25 maybe).

Decoys... hrmm.. A friend of mine has all the goose decoys. He has 7 Final Approach Full Bodies (had 8 but one must of blown out of the truck) and 8 Final Approach floaters. At $90 for 4 though they are expensive IMHO, that is why I let him buy em. He is young and single and can afford it. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Forget the CDs or tapes--you need DVDs or VHS as hand positioning is crucial for Short reed calls, and even flutes.

Flocked heads do make a difference IMO.

#15 ·
You can get alot of good goose calls for under a hundo in my opinion one of the best is the primos honky tonk. I blow a custom call that cost under a hundred and I absolutely love it. let me know if you want more info.(dont want to spam) As for dekes Fullbodys are the best but if cost is a factor go with gh shells with flocked heads and motion stakes or outlaw silos both are amazing and not to horrible priced good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.