Dove Recipe. I Need One

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Dove Recipe. I Need One

Postby murdocki » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:52 am

I'm hunting some Dove on Tuesday and I have never cooked one. So I was hopping that you guys could help me out. I was thinking about just cooking the breastplate instead of cooking the whole bird but if you have a good recipe for the whole bird lets hear it.

Thanks,
murdocki
hunter

Re: Dove Recipe. I Need One

Postby scheister » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:06 am

i prepare/cook them in several ways, but the easiest and probably best is to breast them, wrap in bacon and put them on a grill. when the bacon is done, the birds are too. don't over cook though.

marinating them before cooking really adds flavor. try italian dressing.
scheister
hunter

Postby murdocki » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks for the help.
murdocki
hunter

Postby old1neck » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 am

same as above but I cut up sweet onion and some jalapenos. quarter the onion then separate the petals. Lay a onion petal flat on the cutting board, then jalapeno, then piece of dove breast. wrap all three tight with bacon and skewer them. I do six per skewer, I marinade in Dale's sauce with fresh garlic a few hours. Throw them on the grill and as said above when the bacon is done so is the bird. DO NOT OVERCOOK. I like them a little rare. If you don't have Dale's sauce use terriyaki or soy sauce.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby murdocki » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Wow this is making my mouth water. I just went out this morning to scout and found a honey hole. I will keep you guys posted on the cooking that I'm hopping to do.
murdocki
hunter

Postby kysupernova » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:49 am

Italian dressing, Bacon, Jalapeno, Grill, Delicious :beer:
kysupernova
hunter

Postby ucsdryder » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:23 pm

You guys are on the right track, but I promise you that you can make them better. Buy the canned jalapenos or regular peppers (they usually come in a can with carrots and crap which you just throw out). Next, stuff a half breast and a spoonful of cream cheese in the pepper and wrap with bacon and grill. I promise you will LOVE it.
ucsdryder
hunter

Postby murdocki » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:24 am

OMG! that was amazing. thanks for the help guys I truly Loved it. Now I need to go shoot My limit.
murdocki
hunter

Postby CoachSam49 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Do most of you cut the breast off of the bone and have a dove "fillet," or do you cut them a little bit off of the breast, stuff them, wrap them and then cook them still attached to the body of the bird?
CoachSam49
Newb

Postby old1neck » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:47 pm

CoachSam49 wrote:Do most of you cut the breast off of the bone and have a dove "fillet," or do you cut them a little bit off of the breast, stuff them, wrap them and then cook them still attached to the body of the bird?

I cut mine completely of the breast bone so it is just a filet :thumbsup:
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking