Methods for finding stray shot in meat???

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Methods for finding stray shot in meat???

Postby Gutey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:17 am

Has anyone used any of the new scanners for finding stray shot in meat? Always nervous serving duck to friends and family for fear they will chomp down on a pellet a bust a tooth. Do my best to try to find them all but still manage to miss a few.
Gutey
Newb

Re: Methods for finding stray shot in meat???

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:52 am

I breast most of my ducks out. When I do this, I rinse all of the duck breasts thoroughly and so just by rinsing them well (i.e. getting feather and blood out of shot wounds), I get the majority of they shot out. This isn't 100%, you still find some shot every now and again, but it greatly reduces the amount of shot found. Always give a disclaimer, this is wild game, chew softly.

Nice thing about non-toxic loads is that they're non-toxic. So you don't have to worry about lead ingestion with the kids.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Get a handheld metal detector like they use at the airport. You can get one for less than 20 bucks.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby MTchicken » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:46 pm

Being a woodworker, I had purchased a device used to locate metal in wood (so as not to destroy expensive planer and jointer blades) when working them to the desired dimentions. One of them looks like a giant blade razor, with the detector where the blades would go. I don't remember the cost, but I'm thinking about $20-$30. I also have another, made by the same mfgr. which does look like the airport "wands". It was about $100. I've used these even when butchering my venison, as sometimes bullets will fragment, and there is nothing scarier than finding a jagged fragment of of copper or lead at the table. You can find these in woodworking catalogs, or if you lucky and have one in your town......a woodworking store.
MTchicken
hunter

Postby timberjet » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Just tell em to be carefull. Just like eating fish with the occasional bone. cook breasts rare and everyone will rave and chewing softly is easy. I agree as well to breast out birds that are hit hard there and rinse them well, getting all the feathers out of any wounds. This gets most of the shot out. If you press your forefinger and thumb together tightly while cleaning your breasts you can usually feel any metal in there. anyway let us know how that gadget works and if it is worth it.
If it flies it dies!. if it lands it dies!, if it swims it dies!, they all taste good!!!!
timberjet
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking