Wood Duck Recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Wood Duck Recipe

Postby deaddux1312 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:50 am

Let's hear your favorite recipe for wood ducks...
deaddux1312
hunter

Re: Wood Duck Recipe

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:57 am

I just make duck bacon jalapeno wraps, like I do with every other duck.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Pot roasted orange glazed wood ducks...
google it under chef John Folse...
AWESOME!! :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 am

I like to stick a tangerine inside, (salt and pepper first) , wrap bacon around 'em and get them on the smoker :yes:

Melt down some plum jelly and add some port wine and some flour to thicken. dip the duckmeat in the sauce. Makes a puppy pull a frieght train :smile:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:28 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:I like to stick a tangerine inside, (salt and pepper first) , wrap bacon around 'em and get them on the smoker :yes:

Melt down some plum jelly and add some port wine and some flour to thicken. dip the duckmeat in the sauce. Makes a puppy pull a frieght train :smile:

Looks good swampbilly... :thumbsup: next pair of wood ducks I get my hands on, I'll have to try that one! :hi:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby hauge87 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:44 am

sounds delicious!
have a few questions though, i am assuming you take the skin off since you are wrapping with bacon.

also how long do you keep it in the smoker?

i have never used a smoker before but my dad just got one this past Christmas and seems to be just laying around...

thanks
hauge87
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:38 am

i think woodies tie gadwall for best duck to BBQ, so they get that a lot
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby citoricollector » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Marinated...wrapped in bacon with jalapenos & garlic stuffing...grilled medium rare
citoricollector
hunter

Postby citoricollector » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Oh and then serve them at a tailgate so everyone else eats them
citoricollector
hunter

Postby FloridaFowler » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:38 am

citoricollector wrote:Oh and then serve them at a tailgate so everyone else eats them

Are you implying that you don't eat them yourself?
FloridaFowler
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:45 am

FloridaFowler wrote:
citoricollector wrote:Oh and then serve them at a tailgate so everyone else eats them

Are you implying that you don't eat them yourself?

kinda sounds like it. but maybe he just likes to share.

i like to get people who are anti-hunting or 'don't like duck' to eat it. easier if they've had a few...maybe that is what he is doing.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:11 am

whatever you do to it, put a balsamic reduction over it at the end.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby flightstopper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Pot roasted orange glazed wood ducks...

Do you have a link to this? I searched it and couldn't find it, have a pair of wood ducks sitting in the fridge now ready to go!
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
flightstopper
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:39 pm

flightstopper wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Pot roasted orange glazed wood ducks...

Do you have a link to this? I searched it and couldn't find it, have a pair of wood ducks sitting in the fridge now ready to go!

my bad flight- I had to pull out the hard copy from my shelf and look it up. It's titled "louisiana mallards in manderin glaze"; I thought it was titled "wood ducks in orange glaze"... follow this recipe but substitute the mallards and the manderines with woodies and oranges...other than that-it's the same recipe... for a twist and more sweet, you can make an orange reduction with balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and orange marmilade to glaze the breasts after you finish the birds with the lid off. :drool:

http://beta.lpb.org/index.php/programs/folse_recipe/louisiana_mallards_in_mandarin_glaze

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby flightstopper » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:10 am

:thumbsup: Thanks man I will let you know how it turns out!
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
flightstopper
hunter

Postby FreshlyBlastedGumbo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Ok everyone... I am kinda new around here but I just got finished with my wood duck dinner...

You need

4 wood ducks partially de-boned (I removed the breast meat from the body and kept the thigh and leg bones in)
1 pound of assorted mushrooms sliced, stems reserved (I used crimini, oyster and shitake mushrooms)
8 green onions
3 shallots
spaghetti noodles
1 onion
1 carrot
.5 cup Soy Sauce
.5 cup Rice Vinegar
.5 cup of water
Chinese 5 spice powder
vegetable oil
2 tsp brown sugar

Serves 4-6

Mix the soy sauce, vinegar and water with 2 green onions, sliced, and marinate the ducks for 3-4 hours.

Place mushroom stems, carrot and onion in a 2 quart pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until onions and carrots are tender. Strain and reserve mushroom broth.

Place spaghetti in a pot of boiling water and cook. Set aside.

Cover the bottom of a large pan with oil and cook the mushrooms until they have cooked down (about 6-7 minutes) add in thinly sliced shallots and green onion and saute for 2 more minutes. Remove ducks from the marinade and add the marinade to the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat let it simmer. Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat with about a TBL of oil. Season the duck with a little 5 spice powder and sear, skin side down for 4-5 minutes until the skin is crisp. Turn the duck and finish cooking for another 3-4 minutes. Cook duck to your liking and remove from the heat. I cooked my duck to med-rare.

Pour mushroom broth into the mushrooms and shallots, add brown sugar and adjust seasoning. Heat pasta in the mushroom broth and serve. We had a big brothy bowl of ducky mushroom goodness. :thumbsup:

Now my wife wants me to go duck hunting more...
FreshlyBlastedGumbo
hunter

Postby open door » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:27 pm

This is a "hurry-up" way to cook woodduck, and it only takes a few minutes on the grill. To cook 1 - 4 woodducks (breasted & legs/thighs), it only takes a few pieces of charcoal. Once it's going, simply coat the breasts, legs & thighs in either Tony Chaceres creole seasoning or Zatarains - your preference, and grill to medium. It only takes a few minutes, & you're ready to eat. To me, the duck tastes better for some reason if I let it cool several minutes instead of eating it while still hot.

I'm definitely not a cook, therefore I'm looking for a VERY SIMPLE recipe for cooking duck breasts in some type of orange juice or marmalade. That cream cheese sounds good, too. Merry Christmas to all of you, and remember the reason for the season - Jesus!!!
open door
hunter

Postby lbhatty » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:02 pm

This lowcountry recipe is called Sandy Island Duck and is from Georgetown County, South Carolina. My father was cooking it over 50 years ago and it was an old recipe when he got it.Here goes...
Start with a large cast iron pot on top of the stove at medium heat.Add 5 or 6 slices of thick bacon or salt pork and cook slowly(remove). You just want to have enough grease to cover the bottom. Cut 3 or 4 pounds of onions into thick slices and separate the rings. Put the onions in the pot and when they begin to wilt place your well salted and peppered wood ducks or teal breast-up on the bed of onions. Use as many ducks as you can place in your pot in a single layer.The ducks should be whole picked ducks(skin on).Add about a Tbs. of orange liquior and reduce the heat to very low simmer.Cover and cook at least 4 hours, You shouldn't need to add water but give it a check every hour or so.What you should end up with is a slightly thick onion gravy without adding flour or cornstarch.The ducks should be moist and just falling apart. Ducks on the side and gravy over wild rice blend. Great camp supper.
lbhatty
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking